Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good is the Road King on the twisty mt roads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoyed my RK on BRP and Dragon last May.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Emdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the riders ability applies. I've been riding for over 30 years now. I was more inquiring if the King is at home on the twisties or if it felt like a truck. I can drive a truck on twisties too but a camaro would be more fun. I know I can't find that one HD that fits all my needs so am just trying to figure out which one covers most of them. Sounds like the King will keep me close to the rest of the pack in the mountains. I love its nostalgic appearance and highway comfort. Again, thanks.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't speak to the roadglide but I had a 11 Limited & my 08 Roadking would have no problem keeping up with it in the twisties. The RG is however a damn fine bike. As far as the new frame (09 & newer) I personally really didn't notice much difference. Must just be me though because I'm constantly hearing about this huge improvement.....Good luck on your decision.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:59 AM
rdb1976
Road Master

FYI> They're all Road Kings under the fairings and tourpaks.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:37 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emdog
Hi guys. Still trying to decide between the Road Glide Custom and the Road King Classic. Typical rides for me cover about 200-300 miles and go from interstate to the Blue mountain 2 lane twisties. I am coming off an 04 EG and have test ridden both the King and the Glide, but mostly on the freeway. I love the Kings style but question what the handling will be like in the mountains as compared to the Glide. I'm hoping some of you have ridden both and can chime in... or even opinions from guys with Kings who ride in similiar types of roads. Thanks
I have ridden both many times. I personally don't like the shark nose....tough to get used to in the twisties too. I have a King and my friend has the Glide. King wins hands down. When we saddle back up...he always asks if I want to swap for an hour.

I have done the dragon a few times on my King.....handles well. plus... The King is the best looking HD....IMHO.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:20 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had RK's and Electra Glides with cross country trips on both. Also been to the Dragon on both. I went back to a RKC last year because I quess I am just a RK guy. By the way, this is my third RK and probably my last because it is the best one I have had.

I am an ex AMA professional motox and flat track racer, so I tend to ride agressively for the thrill. Just never felt I could push the Glide as far as the RK, but that's just me I quess.

As far as which will run the Dragon better, well I quess my answer above says it all.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 AM
greginNH
Road Master

Having owned both, I would give the RG a slight advantage on open roads only. RK definifitley wins on fun factor plus removable windshield vs sharknose fairing is a plus.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The KING is a blast on the twistys

Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

I live in twistie country and have an 09 King. Part of my daily commute is a mini version of the dragon (only 3 miles long). The King handles fine, not truck like at all. It is not a sport bike, but a lot of the time I ride, I am 10 mph over or better the posted speed limit on the canyon back roads of my rural county roads where a lot of other riders come on the weekends.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RK will do fine, I own a RK and an EG and have ridden my buds RG. The king is afterall a touring bike and you will drag the boards just as much as the RG and EG. RG and EG front felt heavier to me do to the fairing but that didn't stop me from draging the boards on all 3. The frame is the same on all of them.

Quick Reply: How good is the Road King on the twisty mt roads?