Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain drive vs. Belt drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Way way way back when I got my '91 Softail, Harley did have an emergency temporary belt. I remember it was spendy, & went together with allen cap screws & nuts.

Wonder if they still offer one.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:24 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Agreed, belts are smoother, less maintenence, last longer, but why the hell does Harley Davidson designers have their heads up their asses and make it such at major / expensive job to replace the drive belts. If you look at the Victory's and I think the Yamaha's the drive belts are outside the clutch nubs, it looks like it would be about a fifteen minute job to change a belt on a Victory or a Yamaha.
Ah, no, sorry, belt changes on a Yamaha RoadStar or 950 VStar it's big $, Victory I have no idea. The thing with my Suzuki chain drive is I can change gears / chain on a whim for the upcoming task. Yes, they puke gross oil everywhere.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Agreed, belts are smoother, less maintenence, last longer, but why the hell does Harley Davidson designers have their heads up their asses and make it such at major / expensive job to replace the drive belts. If you look at the Victory's and I think the Yamaha's the drive belts are outside the clutch nubs, it looks like it would be about a fifteen minute job to change a belt on a Victory or a Yamaha.
Good point. The Sporties and Buells are easy enough, but of course the big twins have 'heritage', tracing their design and layout back to the bad old days of chains! It would be possible to swap the drive over from left to right, making the belt more accessible, although I suspect that would require re-engineering of much of the bike. Of course belts are so reliable that replacement is a rare event........

Old 05-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-17-2015, 11:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
I think you'll find that kit is only available for the original 1 1/2" wide belts.

It is worth pointing out that for the heavy weight touring bikes the belt width has reduced over the years to 1 1/8" and more recently only 1" wide. The sidecars had a heavy weight wide belt, but the modern trikes use a heavy weight 1 1/8" belt. So technology has improved belt strength over time, to more than offset bike weight and increased power.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:45 PM
kevin sherhart
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain

A 530 chain wont break . it will out last a belt. I have chain I uae dry lube . no mess and I keep my chain tight so its no noisey at all .

Old 12-25-2016, 01:50 PM
kevin sherhart
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain drive

5 hr job.??? To change out a chain I can do it in 2 hrs.

You by a good 530 oring chain with pressed in master link . you will never have to replace it.

I've broken belts . worn them out. There rubber chain is steel .. Hmm ill go with chain I can fix a broken chain on said of the road u cant re attach a broken belt

Old 12-25-2016, 04:42 PM
tlfreak
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both have there advantages and drawbacks.Want to put a really big or really small rear sprocket and chain on your Harley? easy.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Jd1a
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Paved roads everywhere, still a lot of gravel and maybe the only way to get somewhere. I don't trust a belt on gravel roads.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,851 Likes on 19,334 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin sherhart
5 hr job.??? To change out a chain I can do it in 2 hrs.

You by a good 530 oring chain with pressed in master link . you will never have to replace it.

I've broken belts . worn them out. There rubber chain is steel .. Hmm ill go with chain I can fix a broken chain on said of the road u cant re attach a broken belt
To change out a chain I can do it in 2 hrs ... I wouldn't brag about 2 hours to put a chain on ( even on the side of the road )

Actually you can in an emergency situation ... the question is how long will the HD Repair Kit hold up.

The rear problem ( if you do ) break a chain is what other damage will be done. Seen many chains go through an engine case ( especially on the old Jap bikes ) and a couple of primary cases on HD's

Quick Reply: Chain drive vs. Belt drive