Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain drive vs. Belt drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
First Harley belt drive 1980 (I think.) And my original belt is still there at 12 years old.
Actually, 1903. http://www.harleyhelp.com/hist.html

Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That hasn't been my experience and I have a chain on one of my bikes and a belt on the other.

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
Belt = Smoother

Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A modern chains with o-rings is much improved compared to an older chain. Also, there are chain lubes which have very little fling. Is a chain as clean to run as a belt? Answer is no, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Originally Posted by skully1200
My 92 sporty had a chain. It was dirty and messy, and had to have it replaced once. At some point I converted that bike to belt drive and never looked back.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the best models HD ever produced, the original Sturgis, was belt driven. I think the belts were first introduced on the touring bikes with the EVO models in 1984.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:04 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm a new HD owner, maybe some day I'll know why some say it's harder to replace a belt than a chain. I'm not saying it's not, just can't imagine why unless by intentional design(or HD design).
I've never had issue with chains. I do have an issue with the supposedly "good" points on a shaft drive. After the prev.-main. and the paranoia on my Valk, I wished it had a chain, plus no worries of launching it and snaping an out of production u-joint(over a year).
A belt seems the way to me, I thought it sounded good way back on day one. I was paying attention even though I was metric.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,816 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
I'm a new HD owner, maybe some day I'll know why some say it's harder to replace a belt than a chain. I'm not saying it's not, just can't imagine why unless by intentional design(or HD design).
I've never had issue with chains. I do have an issue with the supposedly "good" points on a shaft drive. After the prev.-main. and the paranoia on my Valk, I wished it had a chain, plus no worries of launching it and snaping an out of production u-joint(over a year).
A belt seems the way to me, I thought it sounded good way back on day one. I was paying attention even though I was metric.
Think about it...The chain has a master link so it comes apart and installs with no further dis-assembly.

There is no master link on a belt. How are you going to install it without "exposing" the pulleys to drop the belt over them?

So you remove the primary with clutch and the rear wheel and swingarm.

It's about a 5 hour job. ( Wouldn't give up my belt for anything though. 98,000 miles and counting on the original on my bike.)

Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 AM
6gear
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chains & Belts

If you're runnin with a chain, always carry a master link.

Chains themselves are not your only maintenance issue. Sprockets wear out too. Of course your hearing this from someone who used to take up slack in primary chain via slidding the tranny back, then take up slack in the drive chain, and then adjust the rear brake! Rode hard and replaced plenty of each.

I was concerned about my belt because of where I'm ridding (VN), but stateside this summer I saw a couple belts & pulleys with 100,000 + miles on them and they still looked good. Also saw another pulley off a big inch scoot with the sprocket worn to sharp teeth.

I like my belts.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:51 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Ive had chain, belt and shaft and belt takes the nomination for my choice.....

Old 05-16-2015, 07:26 AM
tj84fxrt
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Belt = less maintenance, quieter and cleaner (total cost is higher, labor to replace is higher).
Chain = narrower for wide tires, can take more power, easy to repair/replace.

Belts have been common for 25 years or so.
Harley came out in 1980 with belt on the fx Sturgis model an in 85 on the fxr an fl models, other than that the 80-84 fl an 82-84 fxr were enclosed chain final drive

Old 05-16-2015, 07:28 AM
tj84fxrt
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tj84fxrt
Harley came out in 1980 with belt on the fx Sturgis model an in 85 on the fxr an fl models, other than that the 80-84 fl an 82-84 fxr were enclosed chain final drive
But the old old Harleys back in early 1900's had a belt from crank shaft to rear wheel

Quick Reply: Chain drive vs. Belt drive