Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strret Glide vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strret Glide vs Road King

Looking to upgrade from a Fat bob to a lightly used late model touring bike and wasnt sure which way to go. Love the SG and the tunes,handling and like the RK for its stripped down look possibilities and handling. Test drove both and was suprised how well the RK handled as good as the SG. So looking for some input of pros and cons of each model. Plus would like a 103 but my wallet says 96. Is there a big difference in getting the 103 over a 96 . Thanks for any input and hopefully I can afford the upgraded bike my wife doesnt think I need. Lol Told here I needed it for safety ABS

Old 11-24-2011, 11:37 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the 103 has slightly more torque- noticable only slightly when moving from a stop & bike is a little more comfortable in 6th gear at 65 MPH

My Pal stores his 103 Limited with me in the winter, I ride it lots.

For my money- I got the 96" which at the time was a 2K saving- my perception was that the slight increase in power wasn't worth 2 grand
( this is my 6th Harley, I have 2 others still)

So that's up to you- I only stage 1 my bikes and I keep them for a long time- I don't expect my touring bike to be anything but a luxo-barge, I have other bikes that go fast.

You are already aware that all the touring bikes are the same but for the amount or lack of fiberglass hanging on them

That's your choice based on what you like ( and again I have other bikes with no fairing, or with a removable windscreen)- for a touring bike I like the protection the batwing fairing offers ( and fairing lowers too) for multiple long days in the saddle

the radio I really only use in town, on long trips I usually use earbuds and ipod.

Do get an 09 or later with the new frame- Do get the ABS, and the security system and cruise control are real pluses.
never thought I'd use the cruise, wouldn't want to live with out it now. ( the new bike stops with the ABS in 1/2 the distance my old evo FLHTC at 55 mph)

The Electraglide Classic can be a real price contender- it lacks the rear speakers, pass. intercom, CB radio, some trim and tourpak light of the Ultra--- the tourpak greatly enhances passenger comfort--- and can easily be made removable

The street glide has the 1" lowered rear end ( shorter shock travel) and some nice custom touches, the 2010 models have a single muffler, changes to the rear signal and lack spot lights

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-25-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:37 PM
RoadMonkey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this thread already.... deciding between the SG and the RK is exactly what I went through...please stand by while I gather my thoughts and opinions =)

Old 11-24-2011, 11:59 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IME -- The 96" with a stage one (SE AC, factory DL and in my case, no cat) had more "YEAH!!!" than the stock 103". Granted - I'm sure it wouldn't be much to get a little more fuel down the 103's throat either.

That all said -- The fairing / no-fairing thing... That's a rough one. Had a King, loved it, still miss it, etc., but ever since having a fairing (SG at first, now a EGC with ABS, the pizza box, lower fairings, etc.), I'm spoiled and I won't go back.

A King cruising down the road with no shield and a nice paint job has more character than any two bikes put together. And if I ever win the lotto and get a second bike, it's going to be another King. But until then, I'm much more comfortable on the long hauls with a fairing.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

I had a 2001 Road King Classic that I stripped down (see my photo albums for some pics). Love the bike. HOWEVER, a lot of my regular riding buddies had Street Glides. In NE Ohio - we get plenty of cool to cold weather. I was noticeably colder than they were on rides, thanks to the batwing. It makes a difference. They also didn't get near the amount of wind buffeting I did.

Now, a big part of me loves the "in the wind" feeling and all that, which the Road King provides. But - I found myself jealous more often than not of the smoothness they appeared to have, as well as those stinkin' radios! lol

I flip flopped in thought about going back to a RK with my next bike - or picking up the SG. Sure, I could put on the windshield for the RK, but I always hated the way it looks - and hate the way it handles with it on too. Sure, I could get an aftermarket fairing for the RK, but again - more PITA - and added cost. The SG is sexy - and if I REALLY want that whole "open bike" wind in my face thing - I could always get a second bike such as a dyna (loved the Street Bob I owned!) or softtail. It's a buyers market; there's some really low priced bikes out there if you wanted to get a 2nd bike.

Anyway - I like the stance, appearance & features of the SG over the RK. I'm gonna toss forward controls on the SG, and even lower it a bit more in the rear, jack up te tank angle with a tank lift, maybe put some mini-apes on it - among other things. So I'm planning on making it the best of three worlds: the RK, the Street Bob, and the SG. I intend for it to be comfortable, bada$$, and functional as possible.

As for the engine size difference - keep in mind, you'll likely be getting a bit more than "just a bigger motor" if you go with a bike that's a 103. Mine is going to have the security, more importantly - ABS, as well as the 103. It's also the electronic wire throttle (new in '08) and I believe there was a frame improvement in '09. Each year has other little differences that, to me, added up - which is why I said screw anything but a 2012. Getting the most bang for my buck in my opinion.

There's my 2, er 64 cents worth :O

Old 11-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up with a RK standard after riding at all the tourers--SG was my 2d choice. Tunes were never an issue with me; it was all about fairing versus windsheild. Really pleased with he versatility and ride the bike in lots of conditions: touring, commuting and in town. Keep the wind in my face most of the time, but can add the detachable tour pack, ws, lowers (on the wish list), when needed. You are allmost certainly going to have to swap bars with the RK as stock sucks--but great excuse to get some apes or beach bars, etc. A lot might depend on the weather you will usually ride in....good luck with this choice.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:12 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I love threads like this, you learn so much, especially when everyone plays nice.

You really need to decide what is important to you, what you will or won't miss, the look you want, etc.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with either one but I will say this:
Adding the 103, which included an oil cooler, ABS and security system for an as-new MSRP of $2,000 is a bargain. So if you can go '09+ great. An '11 with 103, even better!

I'm sure some Road Glide owners will chime in and that is another debate and can-of-worms vs. the SG. RK owners like the versatility of their bike too. It will handle better (if you push it that hard) and ride better due to the taller rear shocks (which are very easily and cheaply changed out on the SG/RG as I mention below).

We decided on the SG for the following reasons:
1. Style
2. Tunes - love'em on the bike. Transformed the riding experience for me.
3. Dashboard gauges

We did not want the EG because we'd be spending a LOT of time and money stripping off the stuff we didn't want to make it look more like an SG.

We like the batwing fairing a lot and I really like the information on the dashboard.

I just added RK shocks for more suspension compliance (extra 1") and take-offs from an '11 on eBay were $130 shipped or so.

Finally, a tourpak OR equivalent is really essential for comfortable overnighters. You can go $1500+ new, all HD or $600-$900 used/aftermarket with mounts. We did an HD cargo rack and bag for about $300 total. Comes off super fast and can carry easily to and from the house and hotel room.

Good luck in your choice!

Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 AM
caaraa
Banned

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing

Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same debate when trying to decide on my first HD. I love the look of the SG but I love how you can strip down the RK. What ultimately made me choose the RK over the SG was the handlebars. I knew I wanted at least 12" but doing so defeated the purpose of the fairing. Also my bike is a commuter bike and I tend to do alot of lane splitting. I was worried that the fairing would obstruct my vision and the width would hinder squeezing past side view mirrors. Music wasn't too much of a MUST HAVE thing for me. In a perfect world I would've gotten an SG or Ultra and the bike of my dreams, a Fat Boy. But since I could only afford one and I needed a touring bike I went with the RK cause it's the best of both worlds. Then the issue of standard vs classic came up but that's a whole nother topic and can of worms lol. But I'm very happy with my choice and glad things turned out the way they did.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon0807
I went through the same debate when trying to decide on my first HD. I love the look of the SG but I love how you can strip down the RK. What ultimately made me choose the RK over the SG was the handlebars. I knew I wanted at least 12" but doing so defeated the purpose of the fairing. Also my bike is a commuter bike and I tend to do alot of lane splitting. I was worried that the fairing would obstruct my vision and the width would hinder squeezing past side view mirrors. Music wasn't too much of a MUST HAVE thing for me. In a perfect world I would've gotten an SG or Ultra and the bike of my dreams, a Fat Boy. But since I could only afford one and I needed a touring bike I went with the RK cause it's the best of both worlds. Then the issue of standard vs classic came up but that's a whole nother topic and can of worms lol. But I'm very happy with my choice and glad things turned out the way they did.
Good post. I'm going with 12"s myself and although above the fairing for wind protection, it's the comfort and handling I want.

Interesting and valid point about lane splitting and the fairing. Keeping in mind cars are narrower up top, the handlebars and highway bars are considerations.

Quick Reply: Strret Glide vs Road King