Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strret Glide vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Pattrolling
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

It's always a tough call. I have a RKC and an EG, so you can see that I am undecided which I like best. As far as the RKC, the wind only bothers me when it rolls up from the forks and over the tank. I bought the pair of wings which bolt to the forks. It stopped most of the wind rolling up around my chest. As far as cold wind on my arms on the RKC... good gloves and a jacket which tucks inside them. I do like the basics on the bike, but I use my I-Phone and Pandora App for tunes.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever thought about an electraglide classic? Longer shocks in the back=better ride. Remove the tour pack and some other little things and you have a streetglide look yet the electraglide ride. If you decide to go on a big ride then slap the tour pack back on and away you go.

I would not worry about the 103. A 96 with cams, tuner exhaust will out perform a stock 103 anyday and you would have less money involved.

ABS is an option I can do without personally.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:43 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

My vote gose for the 07 RK Classic or the 07 RK Custom
then adding a throttle up stablizer
http://www.throttleupindustries.com/...tabilizer.html ,
and a 103 up grade. later

Last edited by 6 gun; 11-25-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have owned both and have nothing bad to say about either. I still miss my RKC but dig the SG as well. The fairing is nice, tunes are great and the SG does have a certain style. It is heavier though and doesn't fit a taller rider as well in my opinion. The RKC was like a recliner and I could (and did) ride it over 1000 miles in a day with no complaints. I am changing the bars on my SG and likely the seat as well to get myself some more room.

I can't compare the 103 to the 96. My RK was an 88 bumped up to 95 with a 5 speed. The SG is a 110 6th speed. Night and day difference.

Either bike you choose, you will get a great bike.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
Ever thought about an electraglide classic? Longer shocks in the back=better ride. Remove the tour pack and some other little things and you have a streetglide look yet the electraglide ride. If you decide to go on a big ride then slap the tour pack back on and away you go.
That's a good point too. Depends on the looks and comfort one desires. To get the stripped down look it means no auxillary lights, whitewalls, swap the wheels, change the rear lights, bumper trim removed, saddle bag latches, lower profile seat and remove the engine guards. The king tour pack remains, of course Then you can sell a lot of that to recoup their replacements.

Or for $450, used EG/RK shocks, cargo rack and HD travel bag with chopped tour pack capacity.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I also went through the dilemma of choosing the SG or RKC. The versatility of the RK is what sold me. WS goes on and off in a few seconds, and I like seeing everything in front of the bike, so the RKC was my choice. Free cruise, which is a must on long treks. Don't miss tunes. And as far as wind buffetting and such, a lot of it comes from the bottom and I'm thinking of some Chilhowee black leather soft lowers that go on and off in seconds also. I'm not fond of the hard lowers. I'm kind of a minimalist...

Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
That's a good point too. Depends on the looks and comfort one desires. To get the stripped down look it means no auxillary lights, whitewalls, swap the wheels, change the rear lights, bumper trim removed, saddle bag latches, lower profile seat and remove the engine guards. The king tour pack remains, of course Then you can sell a lot of that to recoup their replacements.

Or for $450, used EG/RK shocks, cargo rack and HD travel bag with chopped tour pack capacity.
True, personally. I like the passing lights or spot lights and the chrome rails around the bags etc. Just did not care for carrying the tour pack on day trips etc. Also my scoot was used and had hard lowers installed already and I really like them and they stay on year round.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Kito
Intermediate

Great topic! Im looking hard at moving from my lo to a SG or RK. Living in Montana pretty much anytime you want to go someplace its a little further then just down the street.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 AM
traylestrat
Tourer

I turned the keys in to my very cool 2009 883 Sporty Low, pointed at the vivid black 2009 FLHP, took it out on the interstate, looked down and I was going 80 mph without trying or knowing, took the bike back to the dealer and signed the papers. Didn't know about a SG or any other, thank God.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 AM
tkunk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with either one but I will say this:
Adding the 103, which included an oil cooler, ABS and security system for an as-new MSRP of $2,000 is a bargain. So if you can go '09+ great. An '11 with 103, even better!

I'm sure some Road Glide owners will chime in and that is another debate and can-of-worms vs. the SG. RK owners like the versatility of their bike too. It will handle better (if you push it that hard) and ride better due to the taller rear shocks (which are very easily and cheaply changed out on the SG/RG as I mention below).

!
Yes it's true. If you can swing a 103" you get a whole lot of upgrades. In 2011 it was called the Power Pak. All the stuff mentioned above...plus auto Compression releases and the SE compensator.

And I am a RG owner. Absolutely love this bike, but I won't point you in that direction because I am starting to see too many. Our little secret is out i guess and people are hopping on this wagon like crazy.

Quick Reply: Strret Glide vs Road King