Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews 48H install

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Andrews 48H install

Well finally finished the install, took about 4 nights worth of work. Went thru the rockers and reused the stock push rods. Let me tell you a pain in the ***, I thought evos were bad going into the rocker box. Twin Cams take it to a whole new level of suck. There just isn't clearance to work on the rear jug makes it just a pain, not to mention wigging the breather box out of there. But all is well that ends well, the thing runs amazing now. Broke the tire loose in 1st gear granted it was cold outside but still didn't expect that at all, especially just running a canned Fuel Moto map, if it runs this good comes spring no point in getting it dynoed.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,461 Likes on 22,414 Posts

Very Cool!! Good on ya!!

Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 AM
MichiganRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aktid35
Well finally finished the install, took about 4 nights worth of work. Went thru the rockers and reused the stock push rods. Let me tell you a pain in the ***, I thought evos were bad going into the rocker box. Twin Cams take it to a whole new level of suck. There just isn't clearance to work on the rear jug makes it just a pain, not to mention wigging the breather box out of there. But all is well that ends well, the thing runs amazing now. Broke the tire loose in 1st gear granted it was cold outside but still didn't expect that at all, especially just running a canned Fuel Moto map, if it runs this good comes spring no point in getting it dynoed.
Finally someone else decided to run this cam! How high did you spin it so far? I'm planning on doing it the same way. I want to powdercoat my rocker boxes and the engine covers so its a perfect time to do everything. How many hours do you think it took? Sure sounds like a pain!

Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I was thinking about these cams also. No issues with using the the stock push rods? Isn't the base circle smaller on the Andrews cams?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 AM
aktid35
Tourer

Originally Posted by MichiganRider
Finally someone else decided to run this cam! How high did you spin it so far? I'm planning on doing it the same way. I want to powdercoat my rocker boxes and the engine covers so its a perfect time to do everything. How many hours do you think it took? Sure sounds like a pain!
I just ran it down the block quick for a break in to make sure I had everything together right maybe 3,000 RPM tops. Well just remember that rear jug is a pain. You don't have the clearance to actually pull the bolts out of the cover on the primary side, and same goes for the breather so you have to finesse everything out which adds time. I probably had 12 hours into it all said and done. Not counting a few runs to the part store, did it over 4 days after work. I ended up using the 0.120" spacer too for what it's worth. I would also spring for the cam teeth locking tool from george's garage it's $25 I wish I would have spent if I had to do it again.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 AM
aktid35
Tourer

Originally Posted by Teardrop
I was thinking about these cams also. No issues with using the the stock push rods? Isn't the base circle smaller on the Andrews cams?
No issues with the stock push rods. Everything on thier website states the 48H is a "bolt in" cam for the 96". Verified this with a tech also, I'm personally afraid of adjustable pushrods, so if it wasn't it would have been a deal breaker.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran it down the block quick for a break in to make sure I had everything together right maybe 3,000 RPM tops. Well just remember that rear jug is a pain. You don't have the clearance to actually pull the bolts out of the cover on the primary side, and same goes for the breather so you have to finesse everything out which adds time. I probably had 12 hours into it all said and done. Not counting a few runs to the part store, did it over 4 days after work. I ended up using the 0.120" spacer too for what it's worth. I would also spring for the cam teeth locking tool from george's garage it's $25 I wish I would have spent if I had to do it again.
May not have been the best choice to break in a new cam.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 AM
aktid35
Tourer

Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz
Why is that? For the record it sat and idled for 15 mind on the lift I then took it down the road and didn't really beat on it. Then I took it in and dumped the oil in all 3 holes and put in new plugs to prep for winter. What am I missing?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is that? For the record it sat and idled for 15 mind on the lift I then took it down the road and didn't really beat on it. Then I took it in and dumped the oil in all 3 holes and put in new plugs to prep for winter. What am I missing?

Sounds to me like you did it just right. Nothing wrong at all, yep that rear cylinder is a pain. Glad you're happy with it. You'll enjoy that this spring.Sound good?
STafford

Old 11-25-2011, 11:45 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No issues with the stock push rods. Everything on thier website states the 48H is a "bolt in" cam for the 96". Verified this with a tech also, I'm personally afraid of adjustable pushrods, so if it wasn't it would have been a deal breaker.
I'm with you on the adjustable rods. Just one more thing to go wrong

Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz
Theres no break in period for a cam genius

The following users liked this post:
Trucky911 (11-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Andrews 48H install