Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apehangers and heated grips??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apehangers and heated grips??????

Taken My front end apart this winter to put in monotubes and thought while apart why not do bars.Have an 2011 Limited with heated grips didn't know if any would work or not.always run them on my old bikes over the years , seein all these dressers withem and they look good any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

I am on the same quest, and the only bars I have found that will work with the heated grips are (in no particular order) the PYO MBB, the Wild 1 bars, and bars from BR customs. I was really only looking at the bigger companies.

I do know that you need to cut about a 1/2 inch off the bar for the left grip on the PYO and MBB.

I'm not saying there aren't other companies, but this is what I found thus far.

Good luck, it's not easy.

My biggest issue is, if you keep the factory heat, you're limited to HD grips, and well, there's much nicer grips on the market for the same $$$

Just my $0.02

Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get some heated gloves or liners........it's a lot easier and less expensive......

Good luck

John

Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 AM
CrazyBoom
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just finished wiring...

Burley 14" mini-apes with heat demons. I had to "ream" the TBW end to give the proper inner diameter, but it wasn't difficult to do. The most difficult part was running the wires...patience, grasshopper, patience...but now i have heat and all the wires are internal!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:20 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck with heating elements from Aerostich. These are a self sticking pad that sticks to the bars. They are designed to go between the grip and the bar but several years ago I found that they work great rolled and inserted inside the bar. I have had them on four bikes now and love them. I have a set on my bench at home awaiting my 12.5" Wild 1 bars to show up for my SG. Your mileage may vary but you are only out $30 if you don't like them.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich67
Taken My front end apart this winter to put in monotubes and thought while apart why not do bars.Have an 2011 Limited with heated grips didn't know if any would work or not.always run them on my old bikes over the years , seein all these dressers withem and they look good any help would be appreciated.
Rich, I've got a 2012 Limited. A few months ago, I installed Wild 1 Chubby 14" Apes.

With the wires for the Heated Grips, Cruise, Radio, Comm system, Throttle by Wire, there's about a thousand wires in there.

It is a real challenge running all those wires thru the bars. One thing you MUST do, is stagger all your solder joints.

Here is what I used to connect the wires, they really helped keeping everything as compact as possible

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

I also used heat shrink tubing over the connections as an extra safety measure.

I almost gave up on the Heated Grips, just didn't think the wires would fit, but I finally got it to work.

My advice, just take your time, if you get frustrated, walk away for awhile.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Rich67
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Talldog
Rich, I've got a 2012 Limited. A few months ago, I installed Wild 1 Chubby 14" Apes.

With the wires for the Heated Grips, Cruise, Radio, Comm system, Throttle by Wire, there's about a thousand wires in there.

It is a real challenge running all those wires thru the bars. One thing you MUST do, is stagger all your solder joints.

Here is what I used to connect the wires, they really helped keeping everything as compact as possible

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

I also used heat shrink tubing over the connections as an extra safety measure.

I almost gave up on the Heated Grips, just didn't think the wires would fit, but I finally got it to work.

My advice, just take your time, if you get frustrated, walk away for awhile.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info I will check on them always liked apes figured be a goodtime to do it. You wouldn't by chance have some pics?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich67
Thanks for the info I will check on them always liked apes figured be a goodtime to do it. You wouldn't by chance have some pics?
Not the greatest, but if you go to "My Album" you will see some pics with the Apes.

Last edited by Talldog; 11-23-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you.check and see.if.the harley Bagger bars would work with them?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Rich67
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hog95023
Did you.check and see.if.the harley Bagger bars would work with them?
Ya know I think I did.Pretty sure it said wouldn't work with heated grips. I'll double check though. I've looked at so much crap lately hard to remember what I've looked at.between the suspension work and motor work I want to do think My heads bout to explode.Thanks

Quick Reply: Apehangers and heated grips??????