Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011 | 03:41 PM
Paule253
|
Stage IV
Default Touring Seats

I recently purchased a 2011 FLHR. I took several long trips of about 400-500 miles per day. And by the end of the day my legs were killing me, and my butt was dead. I replaced the floorboards and brake lever with extended ones. But the seat I feel is the big problem. I seem to be sitting both too far forward and too low in the seat. It was suggested that I purchase a Harley Tallboy seat and fine tune it with additional memory form. I hate to spend big bucks on a Mustang seat, and find it does not work. Would appreciate any input you may have from your own experiences.

Old 11-22-2011 | 03:51 PM
mllgator
Tourer

My suggestion would be go to your friendly HD Dealer, explain your issue and ask to sit on used bikes, customers bikes (that are in for service), etc. I would be stunned if you aren't allowed to do a little field research. I would also ask friends, and folks at the bar, to sit on their saddle - my experience is that people are almost willing to help.

Old 11-22-2011 | 04:10 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

I use a stock ultra seat (which can be found cheap)-- good for 10-12 hours in the saddle day after day.

key to my set up is having my feet where I can put weight on them, so as to relieve my back and rear--- the weight is carried on the stomach muscles, then through the legs to the boards.

in town I use a streetglide seat and it's good for 4 hours, painful at 6

as suggested above, sit on bikes at the dealer--- AFTER you already have a few hours in the saddle, that can quickly answer questions.

Mike

Old 11-22-2011 | 04:27 PM
roadglider05
Road Master

I found the 2011 seat on my R/G Ultra way to low and found a 08 seat, 1" higher and added the propad gel pad and perfection at its best. koodos for the gelpad.

Old 11-22-2011 | 05:39 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

If you buy a seat directly from Mustang and don't like it for any reason they will exchange it or refund your money in full. On the condition the seat is in no way scratched, scuffed or damaged in any way. It must also be returned within 10 days of your receiving it.

Old 11-22-2011 | 05:55 PM
RPS1981
Road Master

I'm with MKGuitar... For long hauls I use a Comfort Stitch seat on my Street Glide, which is nothing more than an Ultra Classic seat sold in the catalog under a fancy name. Wife and daughter LOVE the large passenger seating area. Great seat for all day riding. Around town, the sissy bar and "sofa cushion" come off and the stock Street Glide seat goes on.

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:17 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Paule253
I recently purchased a 2011 FLHR. I took several long trips of about 400-500 miles per day. And by the end of the day my legs were killing me, and my butt was dead. I replaced the floorboards and brake lever with extended ones. But the seat I feel is the big problem. I seem to be sitting both too far forward and too low in the seat. It was suggested that I purchase a Harley Tallboy seat and fine tune it with additional memory form. I hate to spend big bucks on a Mustang seat, and find it does not work. Would appreciate any input you may have from your own experiences.
One thing that I might mention that hasn't been brought up yet Paul is that when I put on a HD Sidekick seat on my 2011 FLHR it moved me back a ton which gave my legs the effect of moving me down, (it is a bit lower also), does that make sense? My knees were under my chin when on the stocker, now I can barely reach my hwy pegs. I did find in stock form very comfy however but I used the HD adjustable backrest which is worth it's weight in gold. Just got the Sidekick for burning around town, looks great, just what I wanted

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:25 PM
knewt5
Road Master

I'm 5'9, 170lbs and ride an 07 Street Glide and have been in a bigtime search for the perfect seat and so far nos such thing exists for me. The stock seat was murder for me. I bought a C&C Solo off craigslist and as gorgeous as it is it was too thin. I bought an Air Hawk seat pad...now we're talking! It allows me extended time in the saddle pain free. It puts a thin cushion of air between you and the seat. My problem is the "sit Bones" in my but get no support...bony butt I guess. The Air Hawk disperses my weight as opposed to the firm seats that focus my weight on those two points.

The story doesn't end there. I bought a Mustang solo and rode it this weekend. it wasn't berfect but better than the others so far. Nice lower back support but it may be a little too firm. I only rode a few hours...not far enough to tell if it's going to be a keeper. Adding the AirHawk to the Mustang might be my final solution

I will be getting my stock seat rebuilt with memory foam cuz I want to have a 2 up seat. I think the ability to have someone tweak the seat till its right is the thing that's going to work for me.

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:26 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master

i swapped out my stock 08 road glide seat for a 10 ultra seat. like the ultra seat a lot better.

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:40 PM
NoDeal
Tourer

Mustangs are fantastic, I've had 2, but NOTHING beats a Russell Day Long saddle. If you ride for distance, it is the best money spent on a bike.

Quick Reply: Touring Seats