Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 RK Classic - Which Handlebar to Use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011 | 06:52 PM
Wingert
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebars

I put Road Glide Handlebars on my 2001 RK and found that worked well. Didn't have to replace any cables etc and I no longer had the sore shoulders from riding all day.

As others have said, handlebar selection can vary greatly based upon a number of variables: seat, individual height, arm length, position of the rider etc.

Old 11-24-2011 | 10:18 AM
m-squared
|
3rd Gear

Thanks..I'll look into those.

Old 11-24-2011 | 10:25 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BAGGERSROCK
I just recieved the Khrome werks 1.25" Heritage Style bars last week for my '01 Road King to replace the stock bars. They look really nice out of the box just no time to install them on the bike yet.
Hey BAGGERSROCK, I've been looking at these bars as well. Can you comment on the quality? Are they a 1 1/4" bar over a 1" bar with clean welds (like the Wild1's), or is it a single diameter bar that has been extruded? Is the chrome good quality, any marks? Good size hole for the wires?

I really like the specs on the Khromwerks website, but don't have any experience with their product.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike

Old 11-24-2011 | 10:27 AM
m-squared
|
3rd Gear

Thanks..after reading all the material that is now my plan. At least I have an idea of what I'm looking for. Like you said..need to see what fits my body and style of riding...

Old 11-24-2011 | 12:29 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you decide to get the Heritage bars, note that the "heritage style" bars for the road king (requires no cable changes), and the bars that are currently on the Heritage Classic, are two different styles of bars. True Heritage bars will require cable and wire changes. And "heritage style" bars don't come up as high as the current Heritage bars do. They miss that mark by about three inches.

My heritage style bars are comfortable for me, and I really like them. I wish I had the true Heritage Classic bars, but my wallet is glad I didn't have to pay for cable and wire extensions.

Old 11-25-2011 | 09:40 AM
BAGGERSROCK
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mike5380
Hey BAGGERSROCK, I've been looking at these bars as well. Can you comment on the quality? Are they a 1 1/4" bar over a 1" bar with clean welds (like the Wild1's), or is it a single diameter bar that has been extruded? Is the chrome good quality, any marks? Good size hole for the wires?

I really like the specs on the Khromwerks website, but don't have any experience with their product.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike
Hey Mike, The quality and the way they're built look to be comparable to the Wild1's. The welds are nice and clean, holes for the wiring are clean & well sized. Chrome looks really nice. I had no experience with their product either but decided to order anyway. They appear to be a great bar for the money. Just have to find some time to install them.

Old 11-26-2011 | 08:20 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BAGGERSROCK
Hey Mike, The quality and the way they're built look to be comparable to the Wild1's. The welds are nice and clean, holes for the wiring are clean & well sized. Chrome looks really nice. I had no experience with their product either but decided to order anyway. They appear to be a great bar for the money. Just have to find some time to install them.
Baggersrock,

Thanks for the feedback. Please post a review when you get them installed.

I sent an email to Wild1 to see if they had any plans to produce a "fat heritage stye" and got a short reply saying they would never mimic the heritage style exactly, the closest bar they have is the WO515. I seems to me that there are enough people on this forum talking about the heritage style that they should at least be considering it. Anyway, kudos to Khromewerks for listening.

Mike

Old 02-22-2012 | 09:59 AM
BAGGERSROCK
4th Gear

Finally got the Khrome Werks 1.25 Heritage style bars (part# 300330) on the bike and they look and feel great to me (6'2") although I haven't been able to take it out yet being in Minnesota. Easy install, ran wiring internally, if the bars were any taller I would have had to lengthen the wiring though, cables and lines fit no problem.

Old 02-22-2012 | 10:44 AM
MIBPreacher
Cruiser

Im 6'4" and the beachcomber bars that came stock on mine were way to low. I installed some mini apes from a 08' FXDL and what an amazing difference! I had plenty of wiring in the nacelle and the clutch and brake lines were good since the new bars are alittle narrower than the wider lower bars. Sig pic shows look with new bars.