Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a full face helmet; Pros/Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Armypac
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Helmets

Hey FAA,

I would echo a few of the comments. I have always worn a full face helmet. My recent change to a "flip" helmet is awesome. 3/4 at slow speed town or intersections, flip it down for full face coverage/safety any other time. Try a bunch on, bring your Rx glasses or riding glasses to see how the spacing fits. They are a bit warm at times, but alot of the them have vents on the top of the helmet and in front to pass air thru or defog when your all buttoned up.
ride safe

Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a modular - similar to a full face, but the chin guard can be raised up so you can take a drink without removing the helmet. its not recommended that you raise the chin guard while riding, and i don't like thinking about what would happen if i should fall when i have it raised.

some of the pros and cons of a modular are exactly the same as a full face. in many situations, the chin guard on a modular is said to not afford you the same protection as a solid full face. you would have to check the manufacturer to see what they say about it. i believe there was one maker who said it was a solid as a full face.

i have had 2 modular models, both of the them thru harley. can't recall off hand who makes them. the current one also has an integrated sun shield that can be lowered and retracked while riding.

the big advantage of the modular is that you can grab a drink or whatever. i would highly suggest that you try one out.

i do wear mine year round in all weather and temperature.

advantages:
- protection

disadvantages:
- harder to see to the lower sides, like when backing up. in these cases i raise up the chin guard and back up. there is no noticable blocking of site while riding.
- claustrophobic. i usually leave the face shield up when riding. i have a windsheild so don't really need the face shield except in rain. with the FS up, i don't get that claustrophobic feeling.
- fog up. to avoid this you have to leave it a bit open and be moving. most the time not a problem cause i leave the FS up most the time as mentioned above.

also, if you do feel claustrophic, the FS is easily removed on most models and you can wear glasses instead. it is also easily put back on. the easy off and on can also be used to changed the FS from a clear to a tinted.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 PM
cp1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modular with sun screen, kinda like it wear it most all the time now.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

[quote=mark10;9064264]i have a modular - similar to a full face, but the chin guard can be raised up so you can take a drink without removing the helmet. its not recommended that you raise the chin guard while riding, and i don't like thinking about what would happen if i should fall when i have it raised.
[quote]

Plus 1 I forgot that I have both fullface and modular but prefer the modular. This will be my next helmet if I ever get any money.

http://youtu.be/Mh-DGD__DUM

Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Peripheral lacking

That's my big concern. I have an Arai Quantum II which fits like a glove, so good that I can't wear glasses but HAVE to use contact lenses when I choose to ride with that. Bought a modular cheapo HJC full face for my glasses, works well, noisier, also got a HD half helmet I wear when I'm guaranteed I'll not get hit or crack up when I go on a ride, haha. Wind noise levels are way down when wearing a full face also.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a modular as a second helmet. I wear it in cold and when setting out in the rain. It's warmer and quieter inside. But the drawback is it's warm and quiet, I like the open feeling of the half helmet. The big con I have with the modular is when it's closed you can't speak with anyone, for example the OL on the back, a gas station attendant etc.

For safety, personally I don't think they add a whole hell of a lot. I had a good friend that had a $900 FF, went off the road and killed himself. Sure maybe in the very rare case you might land on your face going not too fast and the FF with protect you. But I think most of the time, any good helmet is just as safe as the next. my 0.02 bits.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

.............. double post deleted ......................

Last edited by zeus33; 11-21-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I have all three, but feel very exposed with a half or 3/4 helmet. In a crash I certainly don't want my nose or chin to scrape the asphalt or whatever object I might hit. And that's likely to happen with a 1/2 or 3/4.

Most of the so-called HD tuff guy lifestylers have never hit the asphalt before. I have and I speak from experience. A proper fitting full face is hands down the best solution for the protection of your head and face area, period. But don't expect to see many of them at your next HOG meeting.

Don't buy a cheap one though. There are plenty of those out there too. I prefer a Shoei RF 1100 these days because of several factors: proper fit, ventilation, visor viewing area, all day comfort, ear areas are designed for internal speakers, includes grooves for your glasses, and the liner is removable/washable. Plus the paint and graphics on a Shoei are second to none.

And besides, don't we all want to look good in the casket?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have two helmets - a half-helmet from harley with the ear curtains. I wear it most of the time.
I have a HJC (I guess some of you call it cheap, but I anticipate it provides all the protection of the high dollar helmets) modular helmet with the shield and the sun screen. I wear it when it's below 40 or so or when it's raining. After wearing the modular, I don't think I could handle a true full face, especially since I wear glasses. Like others the full face will fog up some, especially when sitting at a light, otherwise the air flow through the helmet and across the screen will keep it in check.
I have worn the modular during the summer (it is white, my half helmet is black) and it was not excessively hot, even riding here in central Texas. But I like the noises, smells and feel of the road when I am wearing the half helmet. I am riding a motorcycle. Safety can't be my top concern or I would be in a cage. I can mitigate some of the dangers, but can't eliminate them and so I will enjoy my ride as much as I can.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

............... double deleted............

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a full face helmet; Pros/Cons?