Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a used Power Vision worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I think a getting a tune from Docs would be a compelling enough reason to spring for a tts. Sucks, though, that you'd spent money on the Powervision, and have it not able to meet your needs.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Not to go off on a tangent, but I am really close to investing in a PV - just ironing out some details. Have these tuners given you a reason WHY they don't use the PV?
If you want to discuss that I will only do it via PM. This is all very sensitive and has been stated in another thread I do not want any trouble for saying things in a public forum.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I think a getting a tune from Docs would be a compelling enough reason to spring for a tts. Sucks, though, that you'd spent money on the Powervision, and have it not able to meet your needs.
It meets my needs right now, and probably would for the cams as well. Just like I said, if I'm paying for more power with cams, I want all the power the bike is reliably going to give me, not a map that gets me "close". That and the cams I want to get are not a flavor of the month from where the PV came from, so I do not know how "close" a map would be if there even is one.

I do not want to have to buy the cams there is a map for me, I want to buy the cams I feel fit me and my bike best and have it tuned accordingly.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I don't just want something "close" I want the bike tuned properly.
Fair enough but my understanding is that the map you get from Jamie is the result of dyno tuning and tweaks based on feedback for bikes with your exact combo. Most people have been *very* happy with that approach. How much "closer" are you going to get by spending that additional $1k or so for a different tuner and fuel management system?

With the PV, you can adjust the tune yourself by recording *your* riding habits (as opposed to the Dyno's WOT tuning) and letting the PV suggest adjustments. Personally I dont spend much time at WOT.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Fair enough but my understanding is that the map you get from Jamie is the result of dyno tuning and tweaks based on feedback for bikes with your exact combo. Most people have been *very* happy with that approach. How much "closer" are you going to get by spending that additional $1k or so for a different tuner and fuel management system?

With the PV, you can adjust the tune yourself by recording *your* riding habits (as opposed to the Dyno's WOT tuning) and letting the PV suggest adjustments. Personally I dont spend much time at WOT.
I don't spend too much time at WOT either, but a "proper" tune isn't just about WOT either.

How much closer am I going to get? Considering I live in FL and they're in WI, I think I can get closer. How close is a map for a bike tuned up north at a different elevation with different temps going to be to a bike that runs down here?

I'm not looking for an argument, I asked a question on the value of a used PV........

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 11-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Maybe you should consider one who uses Dyno-jet products then, for a tuner?
I really like my PC-V and it works well if you can find a tuner that knows how to tune with it...

Personally I think that very few know how to tune w/a SERT and that includes the dealerships.. 4-5 hours for a tune? BS!!
They are inept or their SERT SEPST Program is, if it takes 4-5 hours of dyno time to build a map..

OTOH, do you want to constantly tinker with A TTS, riding around w/a laptop in your saddlebag and then adjusting here and or there?
Not me, not that interested..

I am interested in the Rev Perf though, but I have heard that a few have to take it off, send it back for adjustments and put it back on too.. mind you a few...

In the interim, I will just stick with the PC-V.
If you have someone tune your bike with a TTS why would you need to continue to tinker with it?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Grandmaster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read it seems like a lot of people are able to get pretty decent tunes using a tuner with auto tune. I think if you took the money you would loose on the Power Vision, the cost of another tuner and a tune, and bought the autotune module with the wideband o2 sensors for your power vision, you might be better off. You would likely end up with a really good tune with the ability to re-tune with any other future mods. It would be interesting to hear of someone that has used an auto tune, and then went to a tuner to see how much improvement a tuner was able to squeeze out over the auto tune.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't spend too much time at WOT either, but a "proper" tune isn't just about WOT either.

How much closer am I going to get? Considering I live in FL and they're in WI, I think I can get closer. How close is a map for a bike tuned up north at a different elevation with different temps going to be to a bike that runs down here?

I'm not looking for an argument, I asked a question on the value of a used PV........
The difference in elevation between Milwaukee and, say, Orlando is about 500 feet, I cant imagine that is a material difference. Tuned bikes still adjust in closed loop, so I believe that is well within its ability to compensate.

But its kinda moot since the thing is married to your bike, so I doubt its worth more than just a code reader since thats about all it can do on another bike.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
The difference in elevation between Milwaukee and, say, Orlando is about 500 feet, I cant imagine that is a material difference. Tuned bikes still adjust in closed loop, so I believe that is well within its ability to compensate.

But its kinda moot since the thing is married to your bike, so I doubt its worth more than just a code reader since thats about all it can do on another bike.
Guess we will agree to disagree. To me 500 ft of elevation is a huge difference, especially when heat and humidity are thrown into the mix. I can't imagine the stock narrow band sensors making that much adjustment. I have even seen where FM got better performance out of a customers bike from up north that had one of their maps initially, so I don't buy into the map is close enough business.

Guess the PV will be used for target practice!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Guess the PV will be used for target practice!
After you get your cams, it would be interesting to get a map from Jaime (free), then have your tuner do a run to get a before picture, then install new tuner and see what the comparison is after the tune.

Quick Reply: What's a used Power Vision worth?