Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to try a low temp oil thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:58 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Want to try a low temp oil thermostat

I know the timing is terrible since it’s winter now, but the manufacturer has been jerking me around for over 18 months, no sense in postponing it any longer. Anyway, I need some volunteers to test these out. I would prefer folks who operate in a warmer climate, who historically monitor oil temp with a gauge and are already conscious of their oil temp under varying conditions. I would like some people with the Jagg thermostat adapter and some with the HD thermostat adapter. I would even be willing to send a few overseas if you pay the shipping, otherwise I will pay the U.S. shipping. I’m not going to engage or entertain anyone who wants to argue about weather or not this works, or insists that oil coolers are useless, this thread isn’t for you and I respectfully request that you refrain from interjecting. I already know it works, as tested for over a year and two riding seasons on my bike and my friend’s bike, each with different adapters, both with similar results. In fact they work so well I have initiated the process and they are now in a patent pending status. I would just like to get some unbiased independent feedback. I’m not going to make a bunch of hyper-inflated claims, this thermostat does one thing and does it well, improves the cooling potential of existing oil cooler systems on Twin Cams. When you install this thermostat, you should notice an immediate drop in normalized peak temp of at least 15F-20F more than what your oil cooler already cools, and your oil will stay cooler longer. These are made by the same manufacturer and are a direct replacement for the thermostat in the Jagg adapter and most post 2005 HD adapters, some earlier HD adapters use a much larger element and these will not work. They will definitely work in the new 2012 HD touring series standard equipment OEM oil cooler systems. If you are not sure what version you have, look at the thermostat port cap on the filter mount adapter, it should be about the same diameter as a dime, and have two 1/8” spanner holes in the end. You don’t need a manufactured industrial strength spanner wrench to fit this cap, you can make a spanner by bending an 1/8” wire, rod, or nail into a short “U’ shape, or just use two short straight pieces, and hold with a pair of vise grips, a fence staple might even work. The cap does not have to be replaced particularly tight because it seals on an o-ring. Installing in the HD adapter is quick and easy and you will only lose about a teaspoon of oil during the swap. The Jagg adapters are a little tougher to swap; the thermostat port cap faces the engine block and is not accessible without disassembling the adapter, so it might be better to do when changing oil. The Jagg housing gasket is a very high quality coated metal gasket, a new gasket should not be necessary if you exercise moderate caution when disassembling, I have had mine apart 5 times with the same gasket and no leaks. I will provide installation instructions and an information paper and history of how and why this low temp thermostat works. I am just another Forum member who, while working on my own cooling project, stumbled onto what I believe is a significant discovery. I want to be very clear that theses are not for sale, I’m not providing a link to sell, and I am not advertising a business. I hate to have to do this, but there is always a potential for someone wanting to sue, so I must include a disclaimer: I have run this in my bike for over a year and over 15K miles; I don’t foresee any possible issues arising from using this direct OEM replacement item, but I assume no responsibility for any direct or indirect damage or problems, real or perceived, as a result of using this thermostat. Send me a PM with your shipping info, and which type of adapter you have, Jagg or HD (must know this to get you the right part), your PM will serve as an agreement to the disclaimer.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought about posting a pic but wasn't sure if it would really matter

Attached Thumbnails Want to try a low temp oil thermostat-100_1084.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The post '05 HD adapter that you're referring to, is that purchased seperately from the cooler?? Or is that the adapter that has the cooling lines goging to it and then the filter screws to it? I be VERY interested in this modification. Since I've installed the FM 107 on my '09 RG, it definitely runs quite a bit warmer than it did before.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

So would it work with the Ultra Cool?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
So would it work with the Ultra Cool?
Me too........will it work with the Ultra Cool ?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

gearhead; the HD adapter I'm refering to is the "sandwich" type adapter that goes between the filter and the OEM filter mount, they are part of the HD kit but can be purchased seperately. The only difference in the earlier models is a much larger thermostat element.

dawg,drukanfu; I'm not that familiar with the Ultra Cool, I believe the thermostat they use is an electrical switch to activate the fan, not a themo-mechanical valve to direct the oil to the heat exchanger, but I could be wrong. I thought the Ultra Cool used a Jagg adapter. When you installed them did you see a "cap" on the adapter? If the Ultra Cool is a non-thermostat system then its running wide open, not much room for improvement, but depending on the set point of the thermal switch, you might benefit from a lower temp thermal switch for the fan.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

It does use the Jagg adapter. I don't know what cap you are referring to. There is a switch that goes into the oil pan that turns on the fan.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

dawg,
the Jagg adapter is a two piece unit; the piece on the filter side houses the oil thermostat. Unfortunately when installed on the bike, the access cap is in the bottom facing the rear of the bike, about a 1/4" clearance between the lower case and the adapter, I checked and I couldin't even see it with a mirror on my bike. Anyway, the cap is about the size of a dime and has two 1/8" diameter spanner holes, about 5/16" between centers. this side view isn't much help but I can't find a pic on the Jagg site. http://www.jagg.com/pdf/AK4700-T.pdf

Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

So it would be on the rear of this piece?

Quick Reply: Want to try a low temp oil thermostat