Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to try a low temp oil thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Alright, I'm glad it worked for you. I typically tell folks about 15 degree drop but it will do more. I just didn't want to publish incredible claims and have people throwing the bull$hit flag before giving it a chance. Dollars to degrees its your best bargain in oil cooling, and it just plain works.
I've yet to thank you for the offer you made to those interested. (myself included) THANKS!! And, you are correct, it's been the best bang for the buck, by far!!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Jim
What oil coolers does you thermostat work on? I need all the cooling I can get my hands on here in central Texas ... months on end with triple digit temps. I am on your list for your cooling fan system.
Jagg adapters with tstat and HD adapters 2005 up, some of the pre 2005 have a larger thermostat element that wont work.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jagg adapters with tstat and HD adapters 2005 up, some of the pre 2005 have a larger thermostat element that wont work.
Thanks !! Now I can look forward to riding in hot weather and not worrying so much about oil temps!!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I have always been a levis guy. Just for grins, I Googeled *US made Levis*, and lo and behold, they are $170 a pair (most are imported). Might have to try HD jeans.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Well, I have always been a levis guy. Just for grins, I Googeled *US made Levis*, and lo and behold, they are $170 a pair (most are imported). Might have to try HD jeans.
Wrong thread!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

I appreciate the recent inquiries, but the free trial offer expired a long time ago. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't really consider the long term potential of the thread when I started it. For anyone else interested they will be available soon, watch for the new vendor introduction in a few days, I'll post a link here.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I appreciate the recent inquiries, but the free trial offer expired a long time ago. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't really consider the long term potential of the thread when I started it. For anyone else interested they will be available soon, watch for the new vendor introduction in a few days, I'll post a link here.
Cool...............lol, as in cool oil

Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is a pic of the thermostate on the side of a HD adapter. I didn't really know what I was looking for but this cleared it up.
Want to try a low temp oil thermostat-82ayafk.jpg

another view:
Name:  20BcORa.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  77.0 KB

Last edited by tibadoe; 07-22-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Excellent pic, Thanks! That cap with the spanner holes retains the thermostat, there is a spring behind the stat when you take it out, its not strong but it could make you chase it if you're not careful. To remove the cap, you can use a nail or wire bent in a U shape, needle nos pliers, 2 drill bits and a screwdriver, whatever you can make a home made spanner out of, its not very tight, and it doesn't need replaced very tight. The HD cap has like a drill point taper on the inside and the thermostat plunger just rests down in the point when installed, it can be a little tricky getting it started, but once started it will self-align in the tapered recess. It'll make sense when you see it.
If you have a pre-05 adapter(not bike) with a larger stat cap than the one pictured, you probably also have the larger stat so my stat will not work for you.

Last edited by fabrik8r; 05-07-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Received the t-stat from fabrik8r and installed it this morning. Installion only took about 15 minutes and that was taking my time. I did it with the bike on the kickstand and the handlebars turned all the way to the left. Here are a few pics:

This is the cap you remove:
Name:  gmgA2NW.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  123.1 KB

I just put two small allen hex keys into a pair of vise grips and it worked great:
Want to try a low temp oil thermostat-mlk0sip.jpg

T-stat cap removed. You can see the spring inside.
Want to try a low temp oil thermostat-h7ixvdv.jpg

Thermostate:
Want to try a low temp oil thermostat-hhaiovv.jpg

Side view of the plug, t-stat, and spring:
Want to try a low temp oil thermostat-snhr6id.jpg

Job completed. Wiped up what little oil dripped out. Ready to try it out.

Will report back how it does.

Last edited by tibadoe; 07-22-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Want to try a low temp oil thermostat