Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to try a low temp oil thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

Supposedly the stock thermostat opens at 180 degrees. At what temperature do you have your thermostats set to open? My problem isn't that my engine runs too hot, it doesn't even get to 170 degrees in cooler weather. The morning temps here are in the 50's, afternoon in the 70's. I can ride the 11 miles to work in the morning and the temp gauge never registers. The gauge starts at 170 degrees. I'm kind of wondering if the thermostat is stuck open. By the way, Jagg says that a thermostat isn't necessary.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Supposedly the stock thermostat opens at 180 degrees. At what temperature do you have your thermostats set to open? My problem isn't that my engine runs too hot, it doesn't even get to 170 degrees in cooler weather. The morning temps here are in the 50's, afternoon in the 70's. I can ride the 11 miles to work in the morning and the temp gauge never registers. The gauge starts at 170 degrees. I'm kind of wondering if the thermostat is stuck open. By the way, Jagg says that a thermostat isn't necessary.
$tonecold, cooling off out there. My wife is from Peoria, I bought my air rifle in Gilbert. Haven’t heard of too many guys in AZ not running hot enough. You have some good questions though. Your observation is not uncommon, most folks who monitor their temp will likely tell you that 11 miles won’t get their temp to register either, especially if you are talking about a cold start up in the morning and driving 11 miles in 50F straight to work and then shutting down. I doubt if your thermostat is stuck open, that would be a very rare occurrence. The “stock” thermostat in the HD adapter is advertised as “activates at 185”, the manufacturer of the thermostat rates them as 185 starts to move, and 220 fully stroked; the thermostat doesn’t snap wide open the moment your pan temp reaches 185. There is a condition of thermal lag which when combined with the fact that the thermostat is actually fully open a 220, allows your pan temp to get significantly higher than the advertised thermostat temp. I consider Marv Beals at Jagg to be the foremost authority on Harley oil cooling, when I talked to him about a low temp thermostat, he actually explained to me that between two like systems, except one with and one without a thermostat, the oil would eventually normalize at the same temperature. Luckily I didn’t let his answer dissuade me from my pursuit. I still believe that what Marv said is correct, I just see it from a different perspective; in that a thermostat that is rated too high for the application causes the oil to get hotter than it would in a like system without a thermostat. My thermostat for the HD adapter is rated 158F start to move and 175F fully stroked, at a glance many will say that’s too cold for oil, and it is, but this isn’t a simple linear system where you oil temp is magically maintained at or below the advertised rating of your thermostat. In practice this thermostat will lower your temp another 15-20 from what you normally see with the stock thermostat; for me it means 205-215 in 100+ summer weather, before I was in the 235F range.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
So would it work with the Ultra Cool?

I called Ultra Cool, their original release used a Jagg thermostat adapter and the thermal switch for the fan was mounted in the pan, so the cold thermostat will work in this earlier version. The updated version of the Ultra Cool system, moves the fan switch to the adapter and eliminates the thermostat. I communicated with another member about Ultra Cool and I believe a colder fan switch will greatly improve the performance of their product, much the same way the cold thermostat works, especially since they moved the switch to the adapter housing. Why let your oil get hot and then start trying to cool it back down? It's so much easier to just keep it cooler in the first place, by directing oil to the heat exchanger and turning on the fan at lower temp. I set my fan to come on when the thermostat starts directing oil to the cooler, for me that’s about 195F pan temp. My fan doesn't cycle on and off creating a constant unnecessary confirmation that the system works, once it comes on it stays on. This year my oil temp never broke 215F even on the summer NC 100 degree days (no crazy enriched tune, stock near stoich A/F). Out of respect to the few members who did respond, I'm going to terminate my offer this weekend so I can get to the post office and get their thermostats to them. This aint no hocus pocus snake oil BS, it works.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I called Ultra Cool, their original release used a Jagg thermostat adapter and the thermal switch for the fan was mounted in the pan, so the cold thermostat will work in this earlier version. The updated version of the Ultra Cool system, moves the fan switch to the adapter and eliminates the thermostat. I communicated with another member about Ultra Cool and I believe a colder fan switch will greatly improve the performance of their product, much the same way the cold thermostat works, especially since they moved the switch to the adapter housing. Why let your oil get hot and then start trying to cool it back down? It's so much easier to just keep it cooler in the first place, by directing oil to the heat exchanger and turning on the fan at lower temp. I set my fan to come on when the thermostat starts directing oil to the cooler, for me that’s about 195F pan temp. My fan doesn't cycle on and off creating a constant unnecessary confirmation that the system works, once it comes on it stays on. This year my oil temp never broke 215F even on the summer NC 100 degree days (no crazy enriched tune, stock near stoich A/F). Out of respect to the few members who did respond, I'm going to terminate my offer this weekend so I can get to the post office and get their thermostats to them. This aint no hocus pocus snake oil BS, it works.
I have the earlier version with the thermal switch in the pan.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Aw man sorry for the delay, affirmative, it would be on the lower, rear area of the outboard section, facing the block, adjacent to the rear in/out hose port. How do you insert pics into the post, I can only attach pics at the bottom
Just in case you wonder!
To add a pic inside the message, the image file has to be already "alive" on the Internet.
You can upload any image to any free photo albums on the net, after that copy the link (URL) of that image, then click on icon "insert image" to paste the link. Voila!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Depdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get the input your were looking for on these. I have a 2012 Street Glide that I am just starting to modify. I am always interested in parts that will make it run better and last.

Also wondering if you ever got all your testers?

Thanks
Glenn

Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Not much feedback from the testers yet, but it has only been about 6 months. Thats ok, I know it works, I was just looking for some independant testimonials to support the cause.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm one of the 'testers' that fabrik8r 'recruited'. I've seen as much as a 26-30 degree drop in sump temperatures with the new thermostat. It's a great addition for those with oil coolers that will accept it. I haven't tested it in the heat of Summer, yet, but I'm expecting a similar drop in pan temps. (maybe a little less, we'll see) If you're still able to aquire one of these, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Gearhead3; 05-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
I'm one of the 'testers' that fabrik8r 'recruited'. I've seen as much as a 26-30 degree drop in sump temperatures with the new thermostat. It's a great addition for those with oil coolers that will accept the it. I haven't tested it in the heat of Summer, yet, but I'm expecting a similar drop in pan temps. (maybe a little less, we'll see) If you're still able to aquire one of these, I highly recommend it.
Alright, I'm glad it worked for you. I typically tell folks about 15 degree drop but it will do more. I just didn't want to publish incredible claims and have people throwing the bull$hit flag before giving it a chance. Dollars to degrees its your best bargain in oil cooling, and it just plain works.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What oil coolers does you thermostat work on? I need all the cooling I can get my hands on here in central Texas ... months on end with triple digit temps. I am on your list for your cooling fan system.

Quick Reply: Want to try a low temp oil thermostat