Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some suggestionns on choosing bars for a Shark

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
What? Please explain why. All you need to do is notch the throttle end of the bar for the TBW insert.
and cut out the hole in the bottom middle for the tbw harness....

they are the same price, just get the heritage style....... unless you just prefer to do extra work.

Originally Posted by weekender1969
Second time I have heard this, but you are the first that has actually done it.

I know a dealer nearby that has a mix & match room of old bones from customer installs and such, perhaps he will have a set some Heritage bars in the room.

Thanks to all for the info
actually, not the first. there are a ton of people who have done this. these bars are very popular for the road glide crew. they are basically 1'' higher, and 1'' more pullback.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With winter coming on fast here I am narrowing down my bar choices for my RGU as well. I want something that will move my hand position up and back some So I don't feel like I am all stretched out when I am riding. From what I have found I think I will go with either the +2 wide sweeper or the 1.25" heritage style bars from Khrome Werks. I was able to find some pictures of RGs with these bars installed over on www.roadglide.org where mtclassic told you to look as well.

Here is the link to all of the Khrome Werks handle bar specs http://www.khromewerks.com/handle_bars_specs.htm

Craig

I should add that from what I read either set can be used with the stock cables and wiring.

Last edited by hawkeyestoob; 11-20-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added wiring and cabling note
Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Weekender1969
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkeyestoob
With winter coming on fast here I am narrowing down my bar choices for my RGU as well. I want something that will move my hand position up and back some So I don't feel like I am all stretched out when I am riding. From what I have found I think I will go with either the +2 wide sweeper or the 1.25" heritage style bars from Khrome Werks. I was able to find some pictures of RGs with these bars installed over on www.roadglide.org where mtclassic told you to look as well.

Here is the link to all of the Khrome Werks handle bar specs http://www.khromewerks.com/handle_bars_specs.htm

Craig

I should add that from what I read either set can be used with the stock cables and wiring.
Good info, your the second person to link me to the RG site, I registered and all, but can't intro myself at all. guess they got a mod that has to approve the new accounts and I can't do diddly except read over there, which i have been...
And from what I a reading, the Heritage STYLE bars are not going to give me what i need. I need to be 2 to 3 inches further back, and at least 2 inches narrower or the grips need to be angled further back to hide my cold fingers behind the windshield.
So I am now looking into some aftermarket bars that will do so, I will have to deal with extend control cables, but it sounds like I would have had to anyway.
If you know someone that can kick start my posting privileges over at roadglide.org, give them a little prodding for me, saw numerous post I would love to respond to, and many, many questions to ask!!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Weekender1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skratch
and cut out the hole in the bottom middle for the tbw harness....

they are the same price, just get the heritage style....... unless you just prefer to do extra work.

actually, not the first. there are a ton of people who have done this. these bars are very popular for the road glide crew. they are basically 1'' higher, and 1'' more pullback.
I am not concerned with the height, the pullback is what I am looking for (and hiding behind the shark nose a little more...)

But from all the reading I have been doing, it looks like I am going to have to go to aftermarket bars and extend some controls and such, oh well, winter is now being planned...

Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wild 1 Outlawz bars

here's my choice, narrower, taller and more comfortable. pics included

Attached Thumbnails Need some suggestionns on choosing bars for a Shark-user137832_pic107032_1293902718.jpg   Need some suggestionns on choosing bars for a Shark-img_3009-1-.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Weekender1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hd2009man
here's my choice, narrower, taller and more comfortable. pics included
I like, I like, hows the wind-vest working?

Do those bars+windshield keep the wind off your fingers???

I see your in OH, similar weather as here in KCMO, so if it works for you, it gives me a good idea???

Thanks

Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Weekender1969
I like, I like, hows the wind-vest working?

Do those bars+windshield keep the wind off your fingers???

I see your in OH, similar weather as here in KCMO, so if it works for you, it gives me a good idea???

Thanks
The Windvest works GR8 for me....but I like looking over it and not through it. I had the KW 6.5" when I bought it, worthless IMO, then bought the KW 12", ddin't like the airflow, so I went with the 12" Windvest.

As far as the wind...No, the bars are wider than the windshield so they are in the wind somewhat, but it doesn't bother me. I do love those Wild 1 bars..... go to www.wild1inc.com and you can see more sharknose's with different bars. There's a link on the left side to 'bike photos, my bike is on there.

I live in IL...next door neighbor

Last edited by Bdhouse61; 11-20-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Weekender1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hd2009man
I live in IL...next door neighbor
Are you a member on Roadglide.org???

If so, since your next door, are going to shark week 2012?
I am planning now for it, but I expect to have this minor stuff figured out by then...