Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 AM
noserider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing replacement

Guys

I would like to replace my wheel bearings. I have a 2001 FLHT. Would this tool work ok? Any other suggestions or tools others have used is appreciated.

http://pitposse.com/whbereto.html

Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

I use a pit posse tool, but I use this one which is remover/installer inclusive for 1", 3/4" and 25mm. Great tool for the money.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 PM
noserider
Advanced

Originally Posted by dawg
I use a pit posse tool, but I use this one which is remover/installer inclusive for 1", 3/4" and 25mm. Great tool for the money.
Thanks Dawg...looks like a nice find. This will be my first time to change bearings. Does the job go fairly easy with this tool? My local Indy shop wants around 80-100 bucks to remove and install new front bearings alone. I like to do all my own work if I'm capable and the price of the tools I need does not exceed the labor by much. I figure this way every time I fix something myself I at least have some tools to show for the expense not to mention the cost savings for future repairs the second time around.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Job goes extremely smooth with the tool.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Pit Posse usually runs a 15% off sale before holidays. I wait until they do a sale to order tools from them.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:01 AM
noserider
Advanced

Great tips. Thanks guys!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 AM
noserider
Advanced

Originally Posted by dawg
Job goes extremely smooth with the tool.

Dawg. You have a pretty deep bag of info in your files. I think you should publish a guide for the Harley Owner DYI'S. I'm not kidding. I think a specialty guide for folks wanting to wrench on their bikes with tips and tricks and places to buy parts and tools would be desireable. Sure people like me can get on these forums and ask questions and get answers but that does not discount the possibilty of a guide like that being a strong seller. You could market it right here on this site as a sponsor or you could find some other outlets to market it. I'm not talking about a course on how to repair Harleys like some have made but a small 50-100 page booklet. I think it would be a hit and would earn you some serious coin. Just food for thought. In any event thanks for all your help and insight. You obviously already have the passion and knowledge and spend a good bit of time helping others here. Why not get paid for your hobby.

edit. Host a members only website with articles, tips, best places to buy parts/tools. This way as info is changed or updated your customers will have instant access to the changes such as new vendors added to the list or new tips that were not previously incorporated. Make it an anual enrollment like consumer reports does. There are thousands of new Harley owners born every month so new customers would never be a problem. If your not big on SEO for websites hire someone to help you with your website to draw traffic for new customers. The beauty of it all is once your site is developed and the bulk of the info on it you can make money while you sleep and it cost you nothing except what you spend on web hosting and SEO. The SEO you can do yourself with some research. Not sure how far back the archives go on this site but I bet if you did a search alone for all your post you would have a good starting outline for the project. It may seem like a big undertaking but I don't think it would be to difficult. And once it's done and setup the tweeking and updating would be a breeze. Remember, while you sleep it's kaching kaching. It's a beautiful thing. Peace out.

Last edited by noserider; 11-20-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:53 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Make sure you install the bearings correctly. Read the manual and see if it calls for the valve stem side in first.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master

Originally Posted by noserider
My local Indy shop wants around 80-100 bucks to remove and install new front bearings alone.
I had planned on getting the tool for this myself, but my local indy only charged $45.00 to mount & balance the rear tire and replace the bearings. He normally charges $25.00 to mount and balance a tire if you take the wheel in.