Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed Ohlins on 1" lowering blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone installed Ohlins on 1" lowering blocks?

I know my fellow Ohlins users are gonna blast me on this one. NO I have NOT done this and I don't have any plans too, but has anyone installed Ohlins on 1" lowering blocks? I personally think it will destroy the shock because of the angle of travel that it was not designed for, but I was curious if anyone has done this yet?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
rlaf75
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a set of 1" lowering blocks from pingel on my 09 rg. I really havent noticed any difference in ride quality on my bike. I have stock air shocks and ill adjust accordingly if i ride 2up.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Jim, we can buy different length Ohlins shocks. If you want a lower ride you can get short shocks, as you know. Why would anyone buy Ohlins and use lowering blocks, instead of buying short Ohlins? Doesn't compute old chap!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I personally would not do it , however on 02 and newer bikes the LA Chopper kits do not change your shock angle they move the top and bottom out about 1/2" and drop it straight down so the angle is the same , on 01 and older bikes they change the angle

Old 11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys!

gr, I did get the shorter Ohlins and I'm not going to do the lowering blocks on my Ultra whereas it is my every day bike. It just crossed my mind so I posted the question to see if anyone has done it with the Ohlins. But all in all I wouldn't do it with these shocks, especially since I have the #2-#2A (12 1/8" length).

I'm getting ready to start a custom on a street glide 06 and was just thinking hmmm I wonder if.... But after reading tj's post it sounds like I could do it with a #3-#3 with a 1" lowing block on an 02 and up with out changing the angle of the shock. That's really the info I was digging for.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:34 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it makes about as much sense as putting a Mustang engine in a Ferrari......

Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Thanks guys!

gr, I did get the shorter Ohlins and I'm not going to do the lowering blocks on my Ultra whereas it is my every day bike. It just crossed my mind so I posted the question to see if anyone has done it with the Ohlins. But all in all I wouldn't do it with these shocks, especially since I have the #2-#2A (12 1/8" length).

I'm getting ready to start a custom on a street glide 06 and was just thinking hmmm I wonder if.... But after reading tj's post it sounds like I could do it with a #3-#3 with a 1" lowing block on an 02 and up with out changing the angle of the shock. That's really the info I was digging for.
Jim, if you lowered the #2-#2A (12 1/8" length) 83mm/3 = 27.66 mm. 309.5mm (LOA) (-) 27.66mm = 281.83mm/ 11.09" Riders sag. This means you have 2/3rds of the stroke left for compression or 55.278mm max. The shock is 226.5 mm fully compressed or 226.5 millimeter = 8.917".

As you can see that you (2009 Current FL) have only 8.75" or 8 3/4"when the bike is as far compressed as it can possibly be before the swing arm hits the frame.

This means that you have 0.167" at full bottom out clearance before hard parts hit. The tire does not hit the fender on the 2009 ~ Current.

In your case with a 2007 stock bagger, the tire hits the fender first as no hard parts would hit with the exception of the shock (bottom out).

Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Howard,
I'm glad you chimmed in here. For clarrification purposes, I'm not wanting to lower my 01 Ultra with the installed #2-#2A any further. I'm completely happy with the ride and the look. and if I was thinking about it, I'm not anymore after your explination, which was quite thorough.

BUT! I am looking at customizing an 06 street glide which I want to lower.
So if I were to use #3-#3 12 3/4" (329mm) and subtracted the sag of 25.66 which leaves 51.34 of the 77mm stroke. If I subtract 51.34mm from 329mm the shock would be 277.66mm or 10.93" fully compressed. Then if I subtract 1" (25.4mm) for the lowing block, that would leave me 252.26mm or 9.93" fully compressed.

So if I hit metal at 8.75" (8 3/4") - 9.93" = that would leave me 1.18" (1 1/8") between compressed shock and basically bottoming out right? or will I still hit the fender?

This bagger custom will be for looks, but I still want function. It will also be for solo only riding. I like the Ohlins so much that I don't want to use an air ride system. Bottom line is, will it work and keep the fully intended use of the shock?

EDIT: If I'm correct I could go with a 2" lowering block and still have .18mm to spare correct? (not that I would ) Straighten me out Howard!

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 11-18-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

For explanation sake I used a 2009 frame because I had the photos ready and easily posted, little work to me. The 2006 has less drop than the 2009. I showed you haw to make the calculations and verify it. Do not take anyone's word for anything, measure yourself. If my memory serves me correctly, on a stock tire the tire hits the fender at 9" ¢ to ¢ of shock bolt holes. Your results may vary. Jim, if you wish a small shock than think about a small stroke shock and lower it. You do not need all of that lowering block stuff if you are handy and can think. Lowering blocks are just a way of selling something out of the package. I will give yo0u a hint, turn over your swing arm, been doing that a while but you must space out your shocks because they will hit the swing arm if you do not.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FastHarley
For explanation sake I used a 2009 frame because I had the photos ready and easily posted, little work to me. The 2006 has less drop than the 2009. I showed you haw to make the calculations and verify it. Do not take anyone's word for anything, measure yourself. If my memory serves me correctly, on a stock tire the tire hits the fender at 9" ¢ to ¢ of shock bolt holes. Your results may vary. Jim, if you wish a small shock than think about a small stroke shock and lower it. You do not need all of that lowering block stuff if you are handy and can think. Lowering blocks are just a way of selling something out of the package. I will give yo0u a hint, turn over your swing arm, been doing that a while but you must space out your shocks because they will hit the swing arm if you do not.
Yea I see your point. Turning the swing arm over seems to be the ticket here, I'll chase that rabbit! I'll put a lid on the lowering blocks. Thanks for putting me on the right path to achieve what I'm after.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed Ohlins on 1" lowering blocks?