Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help, harley esp

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 PM
swillerbob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, harley esp

i have a 2006 street glide and have had it at the dealer for exsessive vibrations. it is vibarating so bad the cd player skips. it only does it at idle. the mechanics at the dealer said it was shaking so bad it was hard to keep it on the stand in the shop. i was told it could be the fly wheel or a bent rod but their is nothing esp could do until it actually broke, they told me to keep riding it. It bothers me to ride it because it is shaking the bike apart at idle and i dont want it to tear up other things. Where should i go with this?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ride it like you stole it!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:18 PM
swillerbob
Intermediate

i could just start thrashing it but what is it worth, damaging other things on the bike theirs nothing wrong with.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Of course they are going to tell you to go till it breaks. That way they don't have to actually think and figure what is going on, besides, it's not thier money going into fixing it. give a few more details if you can.

both cylinders firing even?
engine mounts checked?
any fuel, air, exhaust mods you have on it
notice anything unusual when it started, or one day you started it up and this just happened?

If it was mine I'd want some real troubleshooting going on before it started to cost me a lot of money. Crank runnout? give some clues, a lot of expertise on this forum may be able to help you out.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by swillerbob
i have a 2006 street glide and have had it at the dealer for exsessive vibrations. it is vibarating so bad the cd player skips. it only does it at idle. the mechanics at the dealer said it was shaking so bad it was hard to keep it on the stand in the shop. i was told it could be the fly wheel or a bent rod but their is nothing esp could do until it actually broke, they told me to keep riding it. It bothers me to ride it because it is shaking the bike apart at idle and i dont want it to tear up other things. Where should i go with this?
Hypothetically here... I'm not saying there diagnosis is right or wrong but let's assume it's correct. So now you have either a bent rod or crankshaft/flywheel with excessive runout. How could they say that's not "broke". Does the rod have to hanging out the case or what?

That is "broke" in my eyes.

If they suspect a bent rod or excessive crank runout, then they should be inspecting that. And if that turns out to be the case, they should be repairing that.

To send you on your way after concurring that there is a problem causing the vibration is wrong. They should be isolating and repairing the problem.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

should the drivetrain be judged to be on the brink on failure, get documentation- this is a liability issue.

it is well established that a vehicle suddenly loosing power in traffic is a hazard, a single track vehicle more so, in that the rear wheel may lock up.

If you have some kinda warranty, then go back before it explodes under your legs and press the point that there is a problem

1.) it is less expensive to reapir a motor before it grenades

2.) they have liability if they allow a rider on the machine in the current state, if they judge a mechanical failure is imminent

mike

Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 PM
swillerbob
Intermediate

While it was at the shop they did fix a broken motor mount but that seemed t make it worst. I have have a stage 1 with screamin eagle race tuner and vance and hines true duals. The dealer said they have looked at every thing they could besides tearing the motor down. The bike has been a great bike with no problems. I was riding down the highway one day pulled in to get gas and thats when i noticed the vibration. I am thinking of calling harley davidson tommorow "if that will help". Im just scared of going any distance on it and it breaking down on me or locking up while running 75.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I have read that new style motor mounts do "break in" after a few hundred miles.

- do you think this is the case? that it is the motor mount?

from your first post it sounded like they had told you dreadful thing were happening--- and rereading it now, if the problem is pronounced at idle, but not at speed then I'm sure the motor doesn't have a bent rod etc. otherwise the problem would be worse.

mike

Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Keep riding it. I put an mp3/rf in mine (1986) it will at times go MIA. Vibes @ idle normal, no issue. Potholes wipe-out my mp3 at the rf transmitter, not the radio. Funny thing my '02 GMC skips mp3 disk all the time. Not nearly as bumpy!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 PM
swillerbob
Intermediate

the thing is, when its cold it doesnt do it but as it warms up it starts shaking bad. the head guy in service told me their is definatly something wrong internal. but at 70 shes smooth as glass but at a stop light u cant read the gauges its shaking so bad.

Quick Reply: need help, harley esp