Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help, harley esp

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by swillerbob
..... at 70 shes smooth as glass but at a stop light u cant read the gauges its shaking so bad.
That is weird! Suggests to me that there is nothing wrong inside the motor, otherwise things would get worst with speed.

I have had odd vibrations on my bike in the past. I suggest you go over the bike looking for something touching where it shouldn't, that the stabilizer links are tight, the exhaust is solid. I reckon there is something not right, or broken.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balancing of machinery is a complex issue as there are a number of resonant frequencies so I am not overly surprised that it is smooth at certain frequencies and not at others but...

I am intrigued that you quote a speed rather than a RPM - if this is happening at idle Rpm with the bike standing still, does it change vibration modes at different rpm's - and settle down at a particular rpm that coincides with 70 mph?

Whilst riding there is a torque being transmitted by the drive belt. This can have the effect of stiffening the motor as it is being constrained by the mounts.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
should the drivetrain be judged to be on the brink on failure, get documentation- this is a liability issue.

it is well established that a vehicle suddenly loosing power in traffic is a hazard, a single track vehicle more so, in that the rear wheel may lock up.

If you have some kinda warranty, then go back before it explodes under your legs and press the point that there is a problem

1.) it is less expensive to reapir a motor before it grenades

2.) they have liability if they allow a rider on the machine in the current state, if they judge a mechanical failure is imminent

mike
I agree....document everything, send a copy to your attorney, then go to a different dealership....don't let them convince you to ride it till it implodes....that's just ridiculous. See what your legal options are so you can use it as leverage. The publicity on something like that would not be good for any big company.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:37 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,247 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Two Words
Glide Pro..

Old 11-18-2011, 08:24 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

the thing is, when its cold it doesnt do it but as it warms up it starts shaking bad. the head guy in service told me their is definatly something wrong internal. but at 70 shes smooth as glass but at a stop light u cant read the gauges its shaking so bad.
Find a new dealership and get a second opinion.
Keep all paper work .
If it gets to the point of not being able to ride safely they will have to fix something.
That is what you ahve the ESP for , it is an insurance policy...
Rob

Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

the thing is, when its cold it doesnt do it but as it warms up it starts shaking bad. the head guy in service told me their is definatly something wrong internal. but at 70 shes smooth as glass but at a stop light u cant read the gauges its shaking so bad.

What are the RPMs at idle? Maybe set to low. When cold your RPMs will be a little higher, and drop when warmed up.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have another dealership look at it. Good luck with it all...

Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2006 street glide and have had it at the dealer for exsessive vibrations. it is vibarating so bad the cd player skips. it only does it at idle. the mechanics at the dealer said it was shaking so bad it was hard to keep it on the stand in the shop. i was told it could be the fly wheel or a bent rod but their is nothing esp could do until it actually broke, they told me to keep riding it. It bothers me to ride it because it is shaking the bike apart at idle and i dont want it to tear up other things. Where should i go with this?

Go the Safety route on this one (locked engine @ 70mph).. Have them put it in writing "ride it till it breaks" they already said its not right I bet the will back up a step or two on their position pressuring ESP or will find something wrong. Might just be a Engine mount.. On another note have them fix the cd player, it may be related to excesive vibration that requires engine work.

Last edited by Sath; 11-18-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While on the side stand bring the rpm up to 4000,with air cleaner off and give it a BIG SHOT of nitrous. Try to stand away a few feet and look out for flying parts.Then let the experts tell what happened .

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You should take it to another dealer, if they do the same thing, then go from there, just make sure you get it on paper.

Quick Reply: need help, harley esp