Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged aka Short Driver on Touring Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012 | 07:52 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by springer 03
It isn't the riding. It's the stopping and backing it into a space or out of a space and sitting at a stoplight. Short people and big bikes are a poor mix. Could be why they show her picking it up at the end.
I agree, its not riding or stopping comfortably. It's parking in gravel parking lots, backing into a tight parking place on grass or dirt and trying not to hold up riders that are coming in quick to get parked at rally's and large sponsored rides. If those feet aren't planted firmly on the ground you aint backing that thing up on a slight grade in pea gravel or dry dirt.
Thats when that clip on lifting the bike up from the ground will come in handy.

Old 01-20-2012 | 08:09 AM
clbking
Cruiser

I'm 5'7", 29" inseam and my stock stock RK (2011) was fine. I did change to HD Premium ride shocks front and rear, low height for better handling and installed 18" wheels (front and rear). Feels the same as stock in ride height, maybe a bit lower, but really handles much better.
Riding boots are lug soles (1" heels) and I can pedal the bike around parking lots and garage.

Old 01-20-2012 | 12:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Your handlebars are adjustable, so you can move them up or down to where you want them. Costs nothing more than a little time and effort, but well worthwhile. Do that before spending any more money and you may find you have an entirely fresh feel for your bike.

Old 01-20-2012 | 04:45 PM
msmith4357@aol.com
Advanced

gret list JJHOG. I have been looking for info like that...so....how many $s did you spend for all of that? I have a 2010 SG and looking to make it feel a little more confortable

Old 01-20-2012 | 05:15 PM
tem2169
Cruiser

Originally Posted by orangevette
I agree, its not riding or stopping comfortably. It's parking in gravel parking lots, backing into a tight parking place on grass or dirt and trying not to hold up riders that are coming in quick to get parked at rally's and large sponsored rides. If those feet aren't planted firmly on the ground you aint backing that thing up on a slight grade in pea gravel or dry dirt.
Thats when that clip on lifting the bike up from the ground will come in handy.
Just curious..are you "giants" bored or something chiming in on this post?

Old 01-20-2012 | 09:27 PM
JJHOG
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by msmith4357@aol.com
gret list JJHOG. I have been looking for info like that...so....how many $s did you spend for all of that? I have a 2010 SG and looking to make it feel a little more confortable
Honestly, I didn't really keep a close tab on it nor do I really want to go back and add it up. I had a '97 RK with 85K miles on it when I traded it in on the '11 EG. I spent a decent amount of money on setting up the RK so that I felt comfy and confident. I wanted to do the same thing with my new bike so that I could put another 85K miles on it and enjoy every single mile whether riding by myself or with the wife riding along being just as comfy and confident with the bike as a passenger.

Old 01-21-2012 | 01:43 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

This system will get you a 3 inch drop while keeping the stock suspension. It can only be installed at HD dealers that are set up and trained to do the job. Not many are set up to do this yet, but I know that Kutter HD in Janesville, WI is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1U01ylS38I

A friend at work with short legs went with this system on his 2010 SG and LOVE's it.

Old 01-21-2012 | 01:57 AM
Jon0807
Tourer

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
This system will get you a 3 inch drop while keeping the stock suspension. It can only be installed at HD dealers that are set up and trained to do the job. Not many are set up to do this yet, but I know that Kutter HD in Janesville, WI is.
They sell a bolt on kit you can do yourself here http://store.fatbaggers.com/drsekitop.html

Old 01-21-2012 | 03:24 PM
jaysnafu
Club Member

I am 5'6" at best. My new 2011 RKC is comfortable. I was able to reach controls, can even throw my legs up on the highway bars, but stopped at a light or God forbid - having to back my bike out, sucked. my winter project includes HD Street Glide shocks, and maybe a lowering kit that allows me to drop back end1 to 2 inches. I already installed a Corbin low seat. I may look into droping the front with something like a progressive drop in... trying to find reviews on it being the way to go or not. I still rock 16" Apes, because honestly the cool factor has to go hand in hand with functionality.

Old 01-21-2012 | 05:48 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

I am 5'7 as well. I have an 06 Street Glide and I want to get the Progressive monotubes. How much drop should I get? What advantage is there in the jiffy stand?

Quick Reply: Vertically Challenged aka Short Driver on Touring Models