Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panacea tail light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Tim the Preacher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panacea tail light?

Anybody installed one of these Panacea lights from Kuryakyn? Saw one set up at the dealer yesterday and it was SUPER bright. I like that for visibility, especially as we approach the foggy season here in the Valley. Just curious if the benefit is worth the investment, as they are not cheap.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM
sortasuave
Tourer

I have one of these installed on my 07 FLHX. I like the light, but check to see if they have improved the plug in Load equalizer. Back when I installed mine, (I think it was 08 or 09), they had a limit on how long you run the blinker AND you could not use the hazzards. Doing so would cause the thing to melt. I ran along with this shitty load equalizer for a year or two and often could smell the thing burning up. I had to go to a third party equalizer to resolve the problem. Now all is well. Off the top of my head I don't remember who I got the new equalizer from, but that's a MUST if Kuryakyn has not fixed this problem and you "must" have their lights.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM
jwd98056
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Panacea tail light and turn signal inserts on my '02 Heritage Softail. They work well and are brighter and more distinctive that the stock lights.

I went with Custom Dynamics gray lens led tail light and turn signal inserts on my '12 Road Glide Ultra. I also added the three way module to turn the rear turn signal into combination running/turn/brake lights. The Panacea setup on my '02 Heritage does the same thing.

The Custom Dynamics LED modules are considerably brighter than the Panacea. I would give the Panacea lights a slight edge in the styling department. The Kuryakyn parts are a little more expensive but not prohibitively so in my opinion.

All in all I like the result of both setups.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I ride with a guy who has them. They're a little weird in that there's a lot of unnecessary flashing going on. If he signals and brakes at the same time I need a second or two to figure out what's going on. They look good and they're bright but I prefer the Bright *** Lights to the Panacea. JMHO.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a brightass tail lite and love it. Very bright and it also modulates or should I say, flashes when you hit the brake. It is programmable with many options and is plug and play.
http://www.brightasslights.com/site/...art&Itemid=111

Old 11-17-2011, 04:39 PM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the Panecea tail light and signals in smoke. Never any problem with the load equalizer. People that have been behind mention how bright and visible they are. The signals flash red three times with the taillight and yellow when turn signals. Going to add the front signals in the near future.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I just purchased an led setup from Custom Dynamics that includes taillight, front/rear signals and equalizer (~290.00). Also functions as a run/brake/turn module.
The story I was told by them (again by THEM so don't flame me) was that they own the patent to the design of the equalizer and IT WILL NEVER GET HOT. They claim that Harley and everyone else that has an equalizer copied their design and to get around the patient they use diodes/resistors to equal out the load and that they will all get hot after continued use.
All I know for sure is that I am satisfied with the setup and the equalizer doesn't get warm. FWIW....

Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Mtnwarrior
Intermediate

Anyone now which Custom dynamics part # fits the 11 FLHX?