Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a HID head light kit on my Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Installed a HID head light kit on my Ultra

Finally got in my HID light kit for my 2006 Ultra.
http://twrbaggersplus.com/HID%20BI-xenon.html
Pretty easy install. Probably need to go back into the fairing and clean up and tie up my wiring.
The lighting seems definitely better than stock. It appears to me as the rider, that the high beam light is basically just a wider dispersal and does not shine further down the road. Essentially my "passing" lights are not of much use anymore (I just replaced the bulbs in them with the only upgrade I could find for the 811 bulbs).
Barely noticeable is the start-up time on the HID.
From the brightness of it, I would say I am definitely more noticeable on the road and probably have better visibility.

Kind of curious if the following would provide any enhancement.
http://store.candlepower.com/fco7h4mohebd.html

This premium genuine Bosch 7" (180mm) headlamp lens-reflector unit is DOT certified to the SAE J584 motorcycle headlamp standard, revision 76, for use throughout the United States, Canada, and all other countries where traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road and SAE/DOT headlamps are permitted or required. The reflector is Swedish; the lens and final assembly are German. Heat-compensating aluminum bulb seat, steel reflector, and hard glass lens. Includes silicone rubber seal boot.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HID's are useless without a projector housing... the stock headlamp housing was not designed to reflect HID light, while you do get more light intensity with a HID bulb in the housing, you also get more glare and a lot more light directly in front of your vehicle which fools you into thinking you're seeing better..

I've "been there, done that" with bulb swap HID kits, and the difference between them and a HID projector is night and day.
a HID projector housing WILL send that light down the road where you actually need it... just sayin'...

Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

OK - were does one find a HID projector housing for my Ultra?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have HID installed and, while not a perfect HID light, it is a huge improvement over the stock headlight. One day, someone will sell a replacement HID projector for our bikes.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

they actually make small HID projectors that will fit inside the headlight housing....

there is a thread in this forum talking all about them.. I was looking at putting them in my Road Glide, but the stock headlight housings on the new Road Glides have an HD medallion right smack in the middle of the lens!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 AM
vduzin12
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suscribed

Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Deuce Bigelow
HID's are useless without a projector housing...
I meant to ask this before, but is it your opinion that there are no benefits, as compared to the stock HD halogen bulb, of installing one of these HID light kits. I don't have any empirical data that says that light is shining further, brighter, etc. All I can say is it looks brighter, but not as nice as the HID lights in my 2011 Mustang.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
I meant to ask this before, but is it your opinion that there are no benefits, as compared to the stock HD halogen bulb, of installing one of these HID light kits. I don't have any empirical data that says that light is shining further, brighter, etc. All I can say is it looks brighter, but not as nice as the HID lights in my 2011 Mustang.
exactly..
the whole point of replacing the headlight is to see further down the road.. right? at least that's MY reason for doing it. LOL...
I had a similar bulb swap HID kit in my '98 Corvette, while it did look brighter than the stock halogen bulbs something was "off" about them.
I ran them for a little over a year before I installed a HID projector assembly in it's place. The difference was astounding!
because the stock headlamp housing was not designed to work with a HID bulb, the light was scattered all over the place and much of it was shining directly in front of the car... the HID projectors didn't do this, they directed most of the light down the road where it belonged.
I took pics of the before and after and you could see a huge difference between the two.
based on my experience with that, I will never use a bulb swap HID kit in any vehicle.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

so you are saying I ought to put my old bulb back in until I can find a proper reflector? Perhaps, just look for a better bulb.
Would there be anything detrimental going with the sylvania silverstar line of bulbs (mine is a 9003) or would they draw too much or be too hot.

Last edited by hillcountryflt; 11-17-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed a HID head light kit on my Ultra