Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a new bike! Wait...no I didn't. Now I got tha wobbles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bought a new bike! Wait...no I didn't. Now I got tha wobbles.

So...replaced front and rear fork / shock fluid. BelRay 10W front and rear. New tires, new back brakes. Front forks weren't bad. Shocks needed fluid badly.

Took the bike out. Wow. All I could say was WOW. Wow and smile a lot. It felt like a whole new machine.

Then we got on the freeway. Took it easy...noticed parallel grooves didn't grab as bad as they used to.

Got up to 75, hit a groove changing lanes. Bars twitched a little like they always do and suddenly it felt like I was sitting on the back of a swimming fish.

The bike literally felt like it had turned to liquid underneath me.

This is the rear swingarm issue that everyone talks about, huh? I thought this bike didn't have it, but I guess the suspension slop was compensating and once that was eliminated the next weak spot was exposed?

Does that make sense? I didn't touch the swingarm connection. I spaced and forgot to do the check when I had the rear wheel off.

So...firmer forks/shocks = exposed issue elsewhere? Logical?

Last edited by JustDave71; 11-16-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow...! I never had the problem but it sure sounds scary. How bad was the wobble? How did you control it? How ism your tire pressure?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thought the issue was solved on 09+ frames.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Bad belt in the rear tire. Still got the one you pulled off? You could use it to test.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:43 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
Wow...! I never had the problem but it sure sounds scary. How bad was the wobble? How did you control it? How ism your tire pressure?
Never had it before either and trying to figure out if tightening up front and rear fork/shock response would expose the weak link in the swingarm components.

Wobble was bad enough to tuck my jewels back up inside me a bit, but not bad enough to cause a wreck. It dissipated instead of increasing like I've read about. I just let off the throttle real smooth like and signaled a few lane changes over to the "slow" lane. I've since found it will kinda happen anywhere from 60ish up, but 70-75 is where it seems to want to actually oscillate.

Tires are brand spankin new and I checked pressure literally minutes after putting the wheels back on with the new tires.

Originally Posted by blarg
thought the issue was solved on 09+ frames.
I think you're correct. My bike's a 2000. I was goofin about the new bike thing. Just felt like a new ride with the new suspension fluids.

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Bad belt in the rear tire. Still got the one you pulled off? You could use it to test.
I...really don't think that's it, but if you want to elaborate I'm listenin!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Sounds a bit more serious than the wobble we all talk about. I love your swimming fish description!

The solution to the normal wobble is a stabilizer kit and I am a great fan of True-Track kits, had them on two bikes. But it is best to make sure your bike is in tip-top condition. Things like steering head bearings can affect handling, the condition of front and rear rubber engine mounts, alignment of the engine/trans in the frame.

The wobble originates in the rear rubber mounts. The swingarm (and rear wheel) is mounted off the rear of the trans casing, so if there is 'give' in those mounts the rear wheel goes out of alignment momentarily and if it goes from side to side it can give that feeling of instability.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Sounds a bit more serious than the wobble we all talk about. I love your swimming fish description!
Considering that I saw a news item about a deadly "wobble"...I figured mine was only moderate but like I said enough to cause the jewels to hide.

The solution to the normal wobble is a stabilizer kit and I am a great fan of True-Track kits, had them on two bikes.
The reading I've done indicates frame-to-oilpan "straps" are kinda a band-aid, no? I'm considering one, though.

But it is best to make sure your bike is in tip-top condition. Things like steering head bearings can affect handling, the condition of front and rear rubber engine mounts, alignment of the engine/trans in the frame.
Mounts are good, fairly recent. Alignment...yeah...should have a pro give that a look...

The wobble originates in the rear rubber mounts.
Something crucial I left out. Bike has almost 80k miles on it and I'd be willing to venture that none of the prone-to-wear components of the swingarm pivot assembly have ever been changed!

If true, it's almost a no-brainer. No maint records unfortunately and I'm third owner.

If I had the cash I'd probably go with CCE retrofit and Glide-Pro to bolster things (if I understand, those aren't redundant) but...cliche cliche...money is tight, SO...I'm maybe gonna check out the Rivera-Primo "Stiffey" and see what comes about.

Bike's rideable for now, and interestingly enough feels impressively solid in turns and at any speed below 60+

rails harder than I'd expect and actually has a little snap coming out of turns! Almost there, I guess.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You made a lot of changes at one time , it may be difficult to track down. Trying a known good tire is a great idea, but I would double check the mounting and fastners on the front end and brakes befor swaping out the new tire. What tires did you use? at stock pressure recommendation, my E3s will squigulate a little, bumped up to 40/42 and they track like a rail.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
The reading I've done indicates frame-to-oilpan "straps" are kinda a band-aid, no? I'm considering one, though.
No! If you are prepared to get down on your knees and take a look at the rear of the trans on a rubber-mount Sportster you will see a stabilizer, the same as those at the front and top of the engine, providing triangulated support to the motor and the rubber mounts. All Buells have one there as well, so adding a carefully chosen rear stabilizer is putting on something the MoCo sees as essential on those bikes.

I have studied many patents on bike rubber mounting of engines, including Erik Buells. He invented the priginal system, which is what we can see every day on those Buells and Sportsters. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for us dresser owners too! As an engineer I understand the excellent principles that Buell was using when he came up with this system, of three 'straps'.

Last edited by grbrown; 11-17-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

10W in forks sounds awful thin.

Quick Reply: Bought a new bike! Wait...no I didn't. Now I got tha wobbles.