Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to understand a Dyno graph and the benefits of new cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

A dyno tune or tuner will adjust the part-throttle positions as well so you optimize your set up at all rpms/throttle positions.

Nice numbers btw.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
A dyno tune or tuner will adjust the part-throttle positions as well so you optimize your set up at all rpms/throttle positions.

Nice numbers btw.
You mean a "GOOD" tuner will. I have seen many that don't.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
You mean a "GOOD" tuner will. I have seen many that don't.
lol true! Thundermax seems to do well...

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
lol true! Thundermax seems to do well...
I could be wrong, but I think he was referring to "tuner" in the human sense.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I could be wrong, but I think he was referring to "tuner" in the human sense.
Yeah that.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I just wonder why the chart starts at 3,000 rpm. I don't cruise at 3,000 rpm, or do 99% of my cruising there either.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
Not to beat it to death but... "throttle position is incidental"? Do you not think that the amount of fuel and air involved has anything to do with the HP & TQ produced at any given rpm?
3000 ( or any, but lets use that) rpm is achieved at the throttle position which allows the correct amount of air and fuel to be there--- so "incidental" to the rpm.

"it is what it is" to paraphrase Popeye

at any engine speed the motor is producing power.

how can a motor turning 3000 rpm with WOT ( in which case it is moving past 3000 rpm to a higher speed) make less power at 3000 rpm with the throttle setting that maintains it there.

the motor will take the air it requires.

the throttle controls air to the motor.

Throttle position and engine vacuum will affect ignition timing, which will further affect tq/HP numbers....

I'd guess that a motor held at 3000 rpm would show higher HP numbers than same motor passing through 3000 rpm on it's way up. That would be due to the more advanced spark timing on a held motor

another variable would be lower afr on a WOT motor-- depending greatly on the fuel management system

- Hey, doing my best to answer the op's question.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-17-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
3000 ( or any, but lets use that) rpm is achieved at the throttle position which allows the correct amount of air and fuel to be there--- so "incidental" to the rpm.

how can a motor turning 3000 rpm with WOT ( in which case it is moving past 3000 rpm to a higher speed) make less power at 3000 rpm with the throttle setting that maintains it there.

Throttle position and engine vacuum will affect ignition timing, which will further affect tq/HP numbers....

I'd guess that a motor held at 3000 rpm would show higher HP numbers than same motor passing through 3000 rpm on it's way up. That would be due to the more advanced spark timing on a held motor

Mike
I'm gonna just assume your joking?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

another variable would be lower afr on a WOT motor-- depending greatly on the fuel management system

Mike
Originally Posted by davewear
I'm gonna just assume your joking?
I hope so, because that's completely untrue.

You're making substantially more power at WOT at 3,000 rpm than you are cruising along at 3,000 rpm on a flat road. Engine load/throttle position plays a huge factor in this, hence the reason there are TPS/kPa axes in the fuel & timing tables.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Mike
\

Ummm, what?? I dyno tune for a living, an average bike on the dyno can acheive 6000 RPM's from 20% throttle up to 100% throttle. (And all the TP ranges in between). With your "theory" the dyno printouts for every one of these passes would be the same. That, my friend, just aint so.

Quick Reply: Trying to understand a Dyno graph and the benefits of new cams