Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My latest lazy man device

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My latest lazy man device

The last house didn’t have an automatic garage door opener (other than my OL) in the 3rd car garage. Neither did the new house so this time around I thought let’s do this the American way. I asked the installer if he had a small opener, something I could use on the bike (no I didn't man up and do it myself). It worked out perfect; he had the opener about the same size as my FOB. I installed it with a piece of Velcro as you see in the pic. If I moved it any more to the right it could hit as I turned. I didn’t want it up by the shield area, didn’t want it in my field of view. I had the small lanyard and attached it, just in case it would fall off. So far so good; hasn’t come loose, I can reach it and hit the button with my glove on, no more fumbling around in my pocket trying to find the thing and the best for last, I don't have to make the OL come out and pull the door down.

So there you go, another device for the lazy man… How would I survive without this crap?

Attached Thumbnails My latest lazy man device-photo0111.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...been doing that for years!..glad you discovered it!..I see some guys go to all the expense and trouble to wire in the HD one that works off of the headlight hi-low switch, and wonder why they just don't velcro a little one on the bike somewhere. Mine is on the inner fairing right next to the Tach gauge...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's about where I put mine, except I put mine on the other side. If you used good velcro it will not fall off, at least mine won't, no tether needed.

Added: Watch out for the glue on the velcro, it will discolor the plastic fairing. Replace it and clean the fairing from time to time.

Last edited by jjnoble; 11-16-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
vduzin12
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't leave it on the bike unattended as someone might break into your house!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Karnevil
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they'd have to know where he lives first. unless you mean outside his house but why would he? he'd park it in the garage.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by vduzin12
Don't leave it on the bike unattended as someone might break into your house!
I hear you, got to be careful these days

Originally Posted by FaschRKC
they'd have to know where he lives first. unless you mean outside his house but why would he? he'd park it in the garage.
I don't leave it outside unattended and true they would need to knoe where i live. If I do go somewhere I would take it off and stow it. Worst case, If I lost it I could do a reprogram.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm thinking I'd have mold growing on me before wife would come out and close the door for me......must not be the same woman.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 PM
crackercap
Road Master

I had a genie garage door opener and while visiting my son in his subdivision, I started pushing it at random and at least 3 garage doors started opening up. I had never set mine from the factory setting and it appeared others had not either. I thought so much for security, I then reset mine to a different setting. I have the HD opener on my bike and it works fine also.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:09 PM
JCCASH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep it in the windshield bag on the SG. Good idea though...

Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice! I like that a lot. Is it a HD part or aftermarket? Do you have the part number? If it works with the Genie, I'd velcro on inside the box on the RG fairing.

Originally Posted by MADHOG
The last house didn’t have an automatic garage door opener (other than my OL) in the 3rd car garage. Neither did the new house so this time around I thought let’s do this the American way. I asked the installer if he had a small opener, something I could use on the bike (no I didn't man up and do it myself). It worked out perfect; he had the opener about the same size as my FOB. I installed it with a piece of Velcro as you see in the pic. If I moved it any more to the right it could hit as I turned. I didn’t want it up by the shield area, didn’t want it in my field of view. I had the small lanyard and attached it, just in case it would fall off. So far so good; hasn’t come loose, I can reach it and hit the button with my glove on, no more fumbling around in my pocket trying to find the thing and the best for last, I don't have to make the OL come out and pull the door down.

So there you go, another device for the lazy man… How would I survive without this crap?

Quick Reply: My latest lazy man device