Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My latest lazy man device

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:19 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Been doing the exact same thing for years. But now, out of the blue my garage door opener screw, or whatever it's called has a 4 inch gap where the threads are just gone! I can't understand it at all. So you go to open the garage door. It opens up to that point (about half way), and stops. Motor keeps going and has a nice loud buzzing sound as the screw just keeps spinning. So you have to go up to garage door and push it up until it catches the threads past the gap. Ganna have to get that fixed before next spring. Probably costs a fortune. I wouldn't know.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 PM
zfdtruckman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a lazy man too. Got a mini Linear opener from Amazon.com for about 7.50. I don't have it on the bike. I keep it attached with my FOB. Simple cheap solution for the lazy man. Saved enough money not buying the wired in crap to buy about 10 - 30 packs of brew.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

HD (Home Depot) has those.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
oasysco
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a key fob. I can keep it in the ignition and velcro'ed to the steering stem, but usually I just use the old-fashioned door opener velcro'ed ot the inside of the pocket on the lower faring.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
MADHOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Nice! I like that a lot. Is it a HD part or aftermarket? Do you have the part number? If it works with the Genie, I'd velcro on inside the box on the RG fairing.
It is actually a Liftmaster product. The system came with the standard credit card sized (3 button) opener but I asked them to sell me a second one ($25), small enough for the bike. Not sure if it will work with the Genie or not. I would check with Genie, I'm sure they may sell a smaller one.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 AM
MADHOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
Been doing the exact same thing for years. But now, out of the blue my garage door opener screw, or whatever it's called has a 4 inch gap where the threads are just gone! I can't understand it at all. So you go to open the garage door. It opens up to that point (about half way), and stops. Motor keeps going and has a nice loud buzzing sound as the screw just keeps spinning. So you have to go up to garage door and push it up until it catches the threads past the gap. Ganna have to get that fixed before next spring. Probably costs a fortune. I wouldn't know.
I had the 3rd car garage door system put in for $295, parts/labor. It was also a 1/2 hp system, the standard 2-car system on the other side was only 1/3 hp. It's also a piece of mind because if something get's screwed up they can come back out and fix it. This is just one of those things I'd rather have the experience take care of it. BTW, it's a belt drive system, the other side is the screw system.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wired a remote to a button like the speedo and installed it opposite of the speedo. Looks ok. Also had a friend who installed the button into an unused cap next to cruise

Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FaschRKC
they'd have to know where he lives first. unless you mean outside his house but why would he? he'd park it in the garage.
Take the opener, then follow him home. Now they know where he lives & have access to his house.

Those small opener remotes are called "key chain remotes" because they're designed to fit on your key chain. All garage door opener companies make 'em.

I wired a standard remote to one of the switches on the handle bars for the radio so I don't have anything showing. I also wired it to bike power so I don't have to replace batteries. Mounted it under the fairing. It's been openin' & closin' the garage for 4 years now.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
10Seconds
Cruiser

That is the exact spot I velcro'd mine too! I just took a regular remote, pulled off the clip and stuck it there and have been riding like that for months with no issues.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM
ssmith579
Tourer

I have to say that that's ugly. I have the same opener and opened it up and figured out where I could solder wires to the switch. I then ran the wires out and connected a lever switch from Fry's that cost $2.50. Then I used JB weld to glue the switch to the backside of the left heatshield and tie wrapped the controller inside the fuse box. Can't see a thing on the bike and it's very easy to reach down and hit the switch even with big gloves.

Quick Reply: My latest lazy man device