Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Electra Glide Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Mrkolivers
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Electra Glide Exhaust

I need to remove my exhaust to install a new black cam cover. New to wrenching on the bike and do have a service manual. Any tips or tricks to this job? Any risk of breaking off a header bolt?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had my exhaust on my '11 UC off several times and have never had a real problem. I'm a firm believer in WD40 and spray the bolts and let them soak for a few minutes first.
The biggest problem for me is removing the muffler from the header. Remove the bolts, wiggle the muffler, cuss, wiggle the muffler, cuss, drink beer, wiggle, cuss, etc.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (05-28-2020)
Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have replaced the head pipes on EVERY Harley (old or new) I have ever owned and never had a problem getting the head bolts out. WD40 is a moisture displacer and will not help much in keeping stuck/rusted bolts from busting the stud. I use PB Blaster or Kroil. It works 100% of the time.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I too have removed quite a few. But I've never had any reason to use any type of penetrating oil on the header nuts. They should come off, and go back on, with zero issues.
As far as loosening the mufflers, I've found that getting mean when wiggling them back and forth/up and down goes much farther than any type of lube you can spray on or in them. Guess I've never had much luck with those miracle penetrating oils - they seem to go everywhere but into the threads you want to loosen .

Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the PB Blaster.

Take your time, let the Blaster soak more than a few minutes though. If the nut starts getting tight backing out stop. If that's the case tighten it back up a few threads, wait, loosen again until it tightens up again. In other words there might be crap in the threads and it helps clean em out. The reason I say to wait between is the stud can get hot (yes believe it or not, think friction) and snap.

It shouldn't but just in case thought I would mention it.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me the hardest part is tightening the "lead" exhaust stud. It's a P.I.T.A. and a real tight fit. Other than that take your time and you'll be fine.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Step one ....BUY A MANUAL! Your gonna need it more than this one time. Takes too long to run to the computer to ask a question.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You do NOT have to take your exhaust off to install your new cover.

Remove hanger bolts under saddle bag and take bolt out of brace at the lower center of your exhaust, then loosen header bolts, but do not remove! If you have duals then you have to disconnect left side pipe. Then just reach down and lift your exhuast up and out far enough to be able to remove cover and reinstall. Then simply retighten header bolts and then reinstall hanger and brace bolts.

I also do this if I need to get to my clutch cable. This takes about 30 mins and that includes changing cover.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 11-15-2011 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JIMSFBL:
DanHappy (05-28-2020), StGlide7 (12-17-2019)
Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Regardless, always use some liquid wrench or similar product the night before. Gives it time to penetrate and there will be no surprises. Why take the chance?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:38 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good Advice

There is some excellent advice here and a couple of techniques of value.
That said...

If you are serious about your bike -- get a service manual!

++2 on the PB Blaster and let it soak over night; IF you have to remove the exhaust for another reason.

Quick Reply: Removing Electra Glide Exhaust