Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Electra Glide Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JetD
There is some excellent advice here and a couple of techniques of value.
That said...

If you are serious about your bike -- get a service manual!

++2 on the PB Blaster and let it soak over night; IF you have to remove the exhaust for another reason.
Another trick I use is B-12. It will free it up in 30 seconds, no overnite nessesary.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:54 AM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Regardless, always use some liquid wrench or similar product the night before.
I just took my exhaust headers off two nights ago and I sprayed some PB blaster the night before. The nuts were off in less than a minute. You may not need it as though you can't do the job without it, but it certainly doesn't hurt and can help those sticky nuts without breaking your studs.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Another trick I use is B-12. It will free it up in 30 seconds, no overnite nessesary.
B12? Never heard of it! I'll have to look into that. I use Kroil on a daily basis. Its worlds above PB blaster, WD 40, or anything else ive tried.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:38 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Funny thing is all exhuast nuts look like there rusted to hell, but surprisingly enough, a little Liquid Wrench and off they come.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:54 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by coolerman69
B12? Never heard of it! I'll have to look into that. I use Kroil on a daily basis. Its worlds above PB blaster, WD 40, or anything else ive tried.

Not only does this work fast, but it's NOT a lubricant, this way it does not collect dirt any grime. DO NOT get this on your paint!

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 11-25-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:02 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Default Thanks for the Reminder

Cooler- thanks for the Kroil reminder -- it does work better than blaster when I've had it on hand.
And the ChemTool --- been using their products for years -- love 'em.
Had not thought of using the carb cleaner for loosening rusted bolts/nuts before.... hmmmm. It seems to evaporate so quickly that I never thought of applying it to a task of dissolving rust.... have to try it next time.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JetD
Cooler- thanks for the Kroil reminder -- it does work better than blaster when I've had it on hand.
And the ChemTool --- been using their products for years -- love 'em.
Had not thought of using the carb cleaner for loosening rusted bolts/nuts before.... hmmmm. It seems to evaporate so quickly that I never thought of applying it to a task of dissolving rust.... have to try it next time.
I had a guy at an indy shop show me that trick. Spay it on and loosens in 10 seconds, if it doesen't work, spray it on again. Not for overnite usage.

Usually I don't have time to wait until overnite soaking, so when I saw this work first hand, it became my main way of loosening up corroded bolts and the evaporating is the best part, no clean up. Works like a champ!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:30 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Default Convinced

I'll report back.... plan to remove some parts next week and will try the ChemTool -- it's already on hand for a number of other previously successful applications. Tnx.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
You do NOT have to take your exhaust off to install your new cover.

Remove hanger bolts under saddle bag and take bolt out of brace at the lower center of your exhaust, then loosen header bolts, but do not remove! If you have duals then you have to disconnect left side pipe. Then just reach down and lift your exhuast up and out far enough to be able to remove cover and reinstall. Then simply retighten header bolts and then reinstall hanger and brace bolts.

I also do this if I need to get to my clutch cable. This takes about 30 mins and that includes changing cover.
That works for me too-- and I also tie the header pipe to the foot board to hold it out of the way and keep both hands free.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:43 PM
Darth Mal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a wrench

06 Ultra classic 88
Is there a wrench for the rear exhaust bolts....they're very hard to get to , to take off exhaust to work on clutch...yes I did the loosing thing but I want to take all the way off.?

Quick Reply: Removing Electra Glide Exhaust