Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe wobble today at 75mph on my 2011 ultra.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NickD
I pack ride a lot, with guys who know how to ride, and when watching the rear tire of the guy in front of me at high speed (with the newer Harleys) I can see the rear tire dancing around more than what I consider normal while the body of the bike doesn't seem to move at all. My thinking is there is something screwy going on since they hard bolted the transmission and motor together. When I mention it to the rider they say they don't feel anything. Are they too isolated from their tires? Is it they don't feel a problem until it's too late to prevent it?
I've owned Harleys since the 1970s and put up with their poor suspension until recently. Decent suspension will take out that dance you describe, along with the tyres themselves, so I would hope if you ever followed me and my Ohlins shocks, my wheel would be doing just that too!

I spent a lot of money to get rid of movement of the body of my bike! Mrs B especially loves the ride now and we can travel further and in greater comfort than ever before. And yes, I can better feel now just what my wheels are up to.

Watch the scenery instead of your mates' tyres!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my tires get low several times over the 45 years Ive been ridding, and you can tell when they are because the bike will feel loose, however I have never experienced any sort of serious wobble like was described here. Before to much advise is given about tire pressure,the owner of this bike needs to have it thoroughly checked out by the factory reps. What has been described here is a serious life threating situtation.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Wrong! Gripping too tight CAN cause wobble. One of the reasons we grip tight is the tension that builds up at high speeds, caused by increased noise. A simple and cheap way of curing it is to wear ear plugs. This was covered in depth in late 1970s US bike mags, but seems to have been forgotten since then.
I'm gettin the bike out today to test this theory! Never heard this before and i've been riding a LONG time. Maybe the noise thing has been forgotten due to being a load of crap! Just sayin! Let the test begin.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 AM
eleft
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
I'm gettin the bike out today to test this theory! Never heard this before and i've been riding a LONG time. Maybe the noise thing has been forgotten due to being a load of crap! Just sayin! Let the test begin.

OK, you've got my attention. Looking forward to the report.

Al

Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Sell the Harley and go back to a Honda VTX.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, in an attempt to dial this down a little, the truth is all two wheel bikes can wobble for different reasons. Your Harley can for various reasons. Yes the new frame helped but new bikes can still wobble. Tire pressure, fall away, bearings, frame to motor mounts, suspension, load, etc.... Try to check em all if you are having a problem and start with the simple stuff first. Good luck and I hope you get back on the road without a problem soon. Peace...

Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM
smellsbad2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If not mentioned, Check out the HD videos from http://www.true-track.com. (a forum sponsor.)
Good to read some have installed true track stabilizers with good results. I have not had any wobble but sure get tracking mentioned in the video.
Looking forward to learn what you find out.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM
smellsbad2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If not mentioned, Check out the HD videos from http://www.true-track.com. (a forum sponsor.)
Good to read some have installed true track stabilizers with good results. I have not had any wobble but sure get tracking mentioned in the video.
Looking forward to learn what you find out.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD
Modern tires running higher pressures has more to do with tire longevity than anything else. I've been on hardtails most of my life and currently run my Metzlers way below what's recommended. My rear is at 22 lbs and my front at 25 lbs. Of course they start cupping a lot sooner but I just consider that the hardtail tax. But in no way do they induce wobbles. (And yes, heavier bikes need higher tire pressures.)

Any bike can experience a tank slapper for any number of reasons and you even see it on race tracks. And it can also be rider induced. But there's been enough of this incidents reported on Harleys over time that there might be something to it. Which granted is hard to believe as the MoCo has been building frames for a hundred years so you'd think they'd have it figured out.

I pack ride a lot, with guys who know how to ride, and when watching the rear tire of the guy in front of me at high speed (with the newer Harleys) I can see the rear tire dancing around more than what I consider normal while the body of the bike doesn't seem to move at all. My thinking is there is something screwy going on since they hard bolted the transmission and motor together. When I mention it to the rider they say they don't feel anything. Are they too isolated from their tires? Is it they don't feel a problem until it's too late to prevent it?

We like to think Harley runs all major frame changes passed the motorcycle slide rule boys, but are there really any motorcycle slide rule boys? I think it's more based on passed experience but with the current configuration there is no long term passed experience. So they went with field experience. And yes the OP may have been too quick to mention the "sue" word, but the other side of the coin is many here sound too much like Harley apologists or maybe they are just trying too hard defend their purchases. Here's some news. The Moco can and does screw up, and sometimes they do it royally, lol!

Sorry Nick but thats just not true. I agree with most of your posts, but not on this one. I switched from dunlops to Avon Venoms and my indy mounted them, but he inflated to the dunlop normal psi out of habit I'm sure. I was on my way home and the wobble started at 75mph, I tryed to accelerate through it, but it got worse. I slowed it down and it stopped, then accelerated back up and it happened again, pretty scary I might add. Anyway I got to my garage and first thing I did was check tire pressure and wala! They were 38 rear and 36 front, so I aired them to 46 rear and 42 front and took the bike back to the same highway, same direction and same speed and wobble was gone. No doubt the low tire pressure caused this. Maybe your bike dosen't, but the heavier bikes with suspensions will definatly have wobble issues at high speed with low tire pressures.

EDIT: This happened before I installed my Ohlins shocks, but I don't know if they would have prevented what I experienced, possible I guess.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 11-20-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eleft
OK, you've got my attention. Looking forward to the report.

Al
I tried everything i could think of to induce a wobble. Nothing happened.

Quick Reply: Severe wobble today at 75mph on my 2011 ultra.