Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest Small Horn I've Heard Yet

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Loudest Small Horn I've Heard Yet

fabrication is happiness

ORIGINAL: iclick

Geez, 1/2" from the right side, 1/2" from the right edge...gimme a break. In the absence of photos or useful install info, wouldn't most of you think that buying a Mini Beast that fits outa the box would be better than the Stebel that requires jury rigging? I'm asking because I want to replace my stock horn with as little ado as possible, but with a decent horn.

BTW, someone is selling the Mini Beasts on Ebay for $116 shipped, and he has 20 available with a Buy-it-now.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Manfire
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SGLarry

I have done the Stebel mod on my SG since I bought it in May. This is a nice CLEAN install. And that sucker is LOUD!! I put the horn portion under the cowbell. It's been working fine ever since. First let me clarify: You need to purchase the Stebel Nautilus "COMPACT" Airhorn, not the "dual tone" one. They both have tthe same tone and loudness, but the compact one is smallerand will fit under the cowbell when separated from the compressor. . You can get it here:
http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merch...ebel_Air_Horns
The part number is 8007850002033
The installation consists of separating the compressor from the horn. ( You can either dremel it off or just break the tabs that hold it, like I did.) I mounted the compressor in the cavity under the seat and ran some fuel line hose to the horn under the cowbell. I used a plastic fitting for the hose to mount to the compressor. I just zip tied the plastic horn part inside from the back of the cowbell where it can't be seen. I also ground just a little of the bottom of the horn so it doesn't "peek out" from the bottom of the cowbell. Wired up the relay to the battery and used the stock horn wires to fire the relay. If you are a premium Delphi member do a search on the Electra Glide Garage forum and you should be able to find a thread with pics and links to diagrams on how to do this. I tried to find it for you guys, but I'm not a premium member so I can only search back 3 months. Once you get the pics and diagram of how it's done, it's really pretty easy. Took me all of 45 minutes. Believe me, the HD horn and the Mini-beast have Stebel's under their covers!
Larry

Where can you mount the air pump on an 08 ultra? With ABS there is no room under the side covers, with the tour pack off there isn't enough room left under the seat because of the rolled up wires.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I had the Mini Beast. Sounded great, looked not great. So I decided to take it apart and see what could be done. The horn inside IS a Nautilus! So, I took the compressor off, then cut the "wings" off of the horn that held the compressor. This let the horn fit inside the cowbell. I then had to cut threads into the air inlet for a hose barb on the horn because as shipped the compressor air outlet fits right into the horn inlet. Then I drilled a hole in the center of the mounting bracket to allow the hose barb and hose go through there. This step is not absolutely needed, but makes it look a lot cleaner than running the hose off to the side. I mounted the compressor under the seat and ran a piece of clear plastic hose under the tank and down to the horn. I zip tied the compressor to a frame member and wiring loom so it is very solid and even though the horn fit real snug in the cowbell, I put a couple zip ties on it too. All in all the installation looks very clean - the only thing you can see is the hose and barb, and the horn sticks out of the bottom of the cowbell about 1/4 inch (not even visible unless you are looking for it.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: SGLarry

ORIGINAL: Jim Dawson

I got my Stebel yesterday and tonight performed the surgery. I can't get it to fit in the cow bell. About 1 inch of the Stebel pokes out the bottom of the cow bell. Maybe it won't show too bad, but how did you hide it completely? If I cut off enough to hide it I'd have to cut off the most of the large horn.
You can cut off the part that shows....it won't effect the performence. There's some pics of my installation here:https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=2560062 It actually opens up the horn 'flare' to get more sound from under the bell. Mine's been like that for 2 years and it's still working fine
Thanks Larry. I ended up putting it in the cow bell with the horns facing up and towards the cylinders and the air fitting pointing down. It looks good but I think the volume suffers. When I get some time I'm going to do it like yours.

I used brass fittings and 1/4" fuel line. That stuff is really difficult to hide. On this '08 I had to mount the compressor under the rear part of the seat as there is no room at all in front of the battery, so I ended up with a pretty long run of hose. I'm having a tough time finding a place to anchor the hose to the frame as there are no holes for tie wraps. I'm going to look for some thinner wall rigid tubing that isn't so big around and some other kind of fitting to the horn. It turned out to be quite a project, but will be worth it when I get these problems worked out.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Old 04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
tr1099
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Stebel Chrome (no cow bell) on my 07 Ultra for a couple of weeks now.Wife and I saw a wild turkey getting ready to cross the road, it got into the left lane and I let him have a blast of the Stebel. Its knees went weak and it almost hit the ground, but it turned the opposite wayand took flight, and we all know turkeys can't fly, this one was really trying....I laughed for a good half a mile...My wife called me sadistic, thatmade me laugh even harder...

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
g4meDTP
Novice

Steble = 139db
Kuryakyn Hidden Horn = 115db
Pro Pad Mini-beast = 128db

Since the thread started about loud.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is the mounting process on a Harley? Most of the web sites I found show lots of other bikes but no Harley's....does it just bolt on, or did you have to make a mounting bracket?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
tr1099
6th Gear

Windup,

I purchased the chrome version and I am using it without a cover of any type.
-Hardware purchased1 -1/4"x 1" stainless bolt, 2 flat washers and a stainless lock nut from the local ACE Hardware.
- Modified/groundone of the flat washers down to fit within the Stebel Mount as a backer plate for the bolt head.
-Removed the stock cow bell from its mount, this is the part that bolts to the engine bracket.
-Usedthis Harley bracketand bolted the Stebel to the upper hole.
-Aligned the compressor of the horn in parallel with the bracket (this is so the bracket is not easily seen from the front.)
That got the horn mounted.

Adding the relay...I checked the package to see what goodies Stebel packed with the horn to wire it up. I liked most ofwhat I saw. The kit required you to cut your old spade end off or your original wiring. I decided to add spade tips (out of my electronics kit) to my setup and utilize the female spades in the stock wiring. After that it was simple, route the wires through the firewall, there are a lot of holes that you can use. Make sure to add a good ground wire, the engine bracket is not a good ground, I used one of the ground posts on the firewall just in front of the battery and ran the wire down to the horn.

After that, it was 10:30 pm and I just had to try it...Even in a closed garage, (might want to stick your fingers in your ears)set a bunch of the neighborhood dogs into a frenzy...PAINFULLY Loud.... Here is what it looks like mounted...