Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest Small Horn I've Heard Yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Loudest Small Horn I've Heard Yet

Ya'll might want to read about that there Stebel before you run out and buy one.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128816

Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with your comments, I feel there is some gradification in doing your own thing your own way. Horns or whatever. and I understood completely how to make that bracket. my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:21 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Heres a link to the CVO site that has pretty good info on how to do this. Pictures and everything!
horn install

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

i like the looks of the cowbell....did you mount the Stebel under the cowbell?....my eyes are gittin old, it looked real clean

Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

I apologize for not being able to communicate well. Let me try again. Remove the HD horn cover, unplug the wiring and take the horn off. You are left with a stud sticking out at you from the middle of a rubber bushing. The Stebel horn has no hole for the stud. It must attach on the back, so you can't use the stud as it is. You need to find or cut a piece of metal. I would use at least 1/8" thickness, approximately 1" verticla and 2" horiozontal. Drill a hole for the stud more to the left side of the metal. Drill another hole near the right side. Fit it onto the stud, and secure it with the nut from the HD horn. Since the hole you used is on the right edge, the piece of metal sticks out a little more to the right, or to the rear of the bike. Use the mounting bolt and nut that comes with the Stebel, through the back of the right side hole in your new piece of metal and thread into the nut in the back of the Stebel horn. Plug the wires back on and that's it. Then clear out the animals and kids and try it. Again, no pictures. My wife don't mess with my Harley and I don't mess with her digital camera.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/0A7AD08044954CFF936204B145F237C2.jpg[/IMG]
Hey, thanks for the added info which clears up several questions. Now, I'll be interested to see if the cowbell fits over the Stebel. After looking at the dimensions of the horn (approx. 4.5 x 4.5 x 3.5 in.), I can't see how it would fit. If it does, that'll be the answer. I did read the other thread about problems with these horns, and that worries me, but at $35 each you can afford to replace it every year or two.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Have any of you guys seen or heard the horn made by Cyclesmiths? They claim 100 db...what are HD stock horns rated at? Cyclesmiths produces an air cleaner that has the same billet fins and I'm thinking of getting both. Any comments on these horns would be appreciated.

Regards.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1543/6A9FCCA8C07E4EBA83FC0B5DBA5AD02A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1543/3C94F17B57934192B377BD7A7B463FB9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
pk
Tourer

Here is a photo and specs on the Stebel:

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/M...Category_Code=

Paul

Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done the Stebel mod on my SG since I bought it in May. This is a nice CLEAN install. And that sucker is LOUD!! I put the horn portion under the cowbell. It's been working fine ever since. First let me clarify: You need to purchase the Stebel Nautilus "COMPACT" Airhorn, not the "dual tone" one. They both have tthe same tone and loudness, but the compact one is smallerand will fit under the cowbell when separated from the compressor. . You can get it here:
http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merch...ebel_Air_Horns
The part number is 8007850002033
The installation consists of separating the compressor from the horn. ( You can either dremel it off or just break the tabs that hold it, like I did.) I mounted the compressor in the cavity under the seat and ran some fuel line hose to the horn under the cowbell. I used a plastic fitting for the hose to mount to the compressor. I just zip tied the plastic horn part inside from the back of the cowbell where it can't be seen. I also ground just a little of the bottom of the horn so it doesn't "peek out" from the bottom of the cowbell. Wired up the relay to the battery and used the stock horn wires to fire the relay. If you are a premium Delphi member do a search on the Electra Glide Garage forum and you should be able to find a thread with pics and links to diagrams on how to do this. I tried to find it for you guys, but I'm not a premium member so I can only search back 3 months. Once you get the pics and diagram of how it's done, it's really pretty easy. Took me all of 45 minutes. Believe me, the HD horn and the Mini-beast have Stebel's under their covers!
Larry

Old 04-24-2007, 05:03 PM
richiep
Intermediate

From what I've read the Mini-Beast is the same as the Stebel Mini Air Horn, but just adapted to fit in where the stock HD horn is......why is it three times as much $$

I'm thinking of buying the Stebel horn for my 2005 Police Road King...anybody ever install one using the existing siren wiring so that you can take advantage of the siren switch on the handlebars??

Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before you run out and get a Mini Beast, check some of the recent threads. There was one about the Mini Beast changing parts from metal to plastic and the thing just falling off the bike! Ouch!

ORIGINAL: iclick

Geez, 1/2" from the right side, 1/2" from the right edge...gimme a break. In the absence of photos or useful install info, wouldn't most of you think that buying a Mini Beast that fits outa the box would be better than the Stebel that requires jury rigging? I'm asking because I want to replace my stock horn with as little ado as possible, but with a decent horn.

BTW, someone is selling the Mini Beasts on Ebay for $116 shipped, and he has 20 available with a Buy-it-now.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 PM
tireater
Banned

I like Howards Hog horns on the bagger...130db...

Quick Reply: Loudest Small Horn I've Heard Yet