Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding on Exhaust for the SG. I need facts...I heard/read alot of stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Deciding on Exhaust for the SG. I need facts...I heard/read alot of stuff!

I'm going to do the full stage 1 upgrade to my bike early spring. I'm getting such mixed signals on so many different things! I had my heart set on Dresser Duals and 4" Rineharts. Then I read that Rineharts have QC issues and the rattle. I was also told and read that the dresser duals aren't the best set up to go with.

I like the look of the 2 mufflers coming out of the back, so I guess I could go power duals, but I'm not a fan of the look. Then I started looking in to Jackpot Mufflers and they seem to get good reviews. Then I could go with Jackpot's header pipe too. I'm open to suggestion, I just know that I'm going to start getting stuff soon so I can have stuff to do this winter.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have dresser duals and Rinehart's,and I love them. Run what setup you want,and to hell what other people say about it. With the 103 you will have plenty of tq.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I run V&H Dresser Duals and V&H Hi-Output SO's.

Fit and finish are top notch. Chrome is miles deep.

That said, unless you're taking your bike to the track, the differences in performance are nothing to get wrapped up about. You aren't going to be winning races with a Street Glide anyway.

Plus, like said above, that 103 has plenty of tq.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the Rineharts have quality control issues?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the part of the equation you don't mention is cost.

I am cheap.

the more money I save on each bike, the closer i am to the next bike ( I always have anywhere from 3 to 6 bikes- 5 right now).

If I owned your bike

Ness big sucker air cleaner I paid $115 shipped on ebay from easternpc

nightrider.com XIEDS- $125 shipped ( steve offers a military discount if that applies to you

stock headers with the cat removed- check the photo tutorial- about $100 for a welder to put back together
the stock headers easily support the power the motor can make and by design enhance torque

slip on mufflers:

some riders report good results with stock mufflers once the cat is removed cost=0

I use supertrapp supermegs, last set I bought was $200.
H-D has a version of these called the nightstick- I just bought a set for $200 locally
once the flow is there, most pipes are an aesthetic thing*.
I like high flow for performance ( and my pipes are tunable) but I do not want alot of noise- noise is fatiguing when touring- those 2 factors influence my muffler choice

so a smart stage 1 can cost as little as $600

mike

* to help decide what pipes you like, maybe a bike night or dealer bbq....somewhere where there are alot of bikes

** aftermarket headers?- make sure they allow you to do simple tasks like check the oil...and/ or have correct bungs for o2 sensors--- and won't scrape on rt hand turns

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have rinehart TDs on both my bikes and have had no QC problems. Mine are 3 1/2.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

For headers, definitely go with an X-Pipe - either Jackpot or Fullsac if you dont like the crossover look of the V&H because they allow you to use the stock heat shields (thus keep the stock look). I'm probably going to go with Fullsac X-Pipe B.

I'm sticking with my FL-VIEDs (backed off to 25% per Steves guidance) and will see how that works, but if I'm not happy I'll pop for a PowerVision and map from Fuelmoto.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

For headers, definitely go with an X-Pipe - either Jackpot or Fullsac if you dont like the crossover look of the V&H Power Duals because they allow you to use the stock heat shields (thus keep the stock look). I'm probably going to go with Fullsac X-Pipe B.

I'm sticking with my FL-VIEDs (backed off to 25% per Steves guidance) and will see how that works, but if I'm not happy I'll pop for a PowerVision and map from Fuelmoto.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a certain look or sound you want, get that. Bang for the buck it's very hard to beat FM Jackpots. Top notch stuff and amazing customer support.

I do really like Rineharts, and apparently a ton of people do because you see them everywhere. But they make a good performing pipe that has a nice growl and is still reasonable at speed.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what you want but from my personal experience if you want the best performance from a big touring bike you need a 2-1. Had dresser duals on my road king with a 96, I'll be putting a d&d fat cat on my 103 street glide

Quick Reply: Deciding on Exhaust for the SG. I need facts...I heard/read alot of stuff!