Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride with the Gerbing vest and Glove liners!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Heated gear is the best investment you can make towards riding. There's no such thing as "too cold".
I agree, especially for someone like me who's "cold blooded." I can't take the cold like some of my friends with more natural insulation , especially in my hands which sometimes get cold sitting in an air-conditioned room in summer. The heated gloves and liner make everything warmer, even body parts that aren't subjected to any heat, like my feet. The difference is being able to ride in almost any condition encountered in a typical S. LA winter.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have returned a jacket liner to HD dealer, they swapped it out on the spot. I was about 14 months old.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
I have returned a jacket liner to HD dealer, they swapped it out on the spot. I was about 14 months old.
I mentioned this on another thread, but I'm now on my third liner three years after buying the first. The first had a short in the glove circuit that would blow the fuse every time the gloves were attached. The second intermittently blew fuses, but it was unrelated to the gloves this time. This third liner has been working well now for two years, although it doesn't get much use--maybe 10 days per year at most.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default warmth

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
BUY THE CONTROLLER! That being said, this is my first year of heated wear (Gerbings jacket/liner & gloves with the Harley dual thermostat) and so far lower 30s' hasn't even phased me. As of now my winter go/no go decision will be strictly road conditions (ice / snow / rain). Time will tell how low the temps will need to go before I bow out to mother nature.
So, it sounds like a hot set up- i hate to be cold and have missed some nice fall days and today it's supposed to snow- but could have ridden with the heated gear.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I've ridden at 18 degrees last winter. Yeah my face got cold but the hands were toasty with the Gerbings

Old 11-16-2011, 04:33 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

If you don't have one yet, get a full face helmet with a chin skirt and a bottle of anti fog spray. I'll make all the difference in the world in temps <55F

Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 PM
VandalENG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably the wisest purchase as accesories go. Been riding in the upper 20's while snowing. Just made sure it wasn't sticking to the road surface.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Dual controller will run the jacket/vest and gloves. With the pants, you will have to decide if you want to put them on the same control as the jacket or the gloves. Socks, I really don't think you will need. Once you get almost all of your body warm...feet should be ok.

And there are other really simple inexpensive ways to help with feet if needed.
The jacket liner hook up plug for the pants uses the same circuit as the gloves. If you have socks they also use the same circuit as the pants (not that the socks are worth it). This is internal wiring in the jacket liner. Course you can get another controller and wire directly to the pants.

I find the gloves need more heat and the jacket about 50% of the gloves - course I don't have a fairing in front of my hands on the RK. That's the downside - the pants need about what the jacket needs so its a trade-off.

I also hate the controller. The ***** move too easy and I must tweek them once in a while. I wish the ***** had click stops (like 5-10 different values).

The harley version of the gear is always one model behind the Gerbing branded ones. The new Gerbing jacket liner is a better finer mesh and they have two sizes of gloves verses the harley branded ones - one is all leather like the harley version and one is not, but is longer. I have both (lost a bunch a weight and had to get a smaller size and went with Gerbings this time).

What is nice about the Gerbing branded liner is the connector plugs don't hang off with pigtail wiring. They are molded into a plate on the inside of the liner. Much cleaner and less bulk - those pigtails are bulky.

Finally, I find the weak link is the wiring for the gloves. Stuffing the plugs/wiring into the sleeve seems to flex the wiring and stress it. Over time the wires can break. Both my harley gloves had to be repaired within a year. Now I watch this when I put them on and never let them hang by the wiring when I take them off.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I love mine. Glove liners and jacket liner. Got my hubby some last year. He thought they were silly taill he put them on then he was sold.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After a recent cold snap I bought the HD Jacket Liner and Gloves with Dual Controllers. Next day the temps went into the 60's and now the 50's. Ya just can't count on the weather.
SC

Quick Reply: First ride with the Gerbing vest and Glove liners!