Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost rear brake coming down mountain

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by etstrine
Cromagnon, I am not an expert by any means but I do need to ask about your switching from dot4 to dot5 brake fluid. It is my understanding that if a brake system is not designed for dot5 fluid you should get that stuff out of there 'immediately'. Dot5 fluid can corrode systems not specifically designed for dot5. That may or may not have contributed to your most recent system failure but it will surely contribute to one in the future. Look at your owners manual or the cap on your reservoir and only use the fluid specific to your bike.
Agreed ... I don't have ABS which is not compatible with DOT 5, but the stuff is really made for racing setups, which through further investigation would prevent boiling or overheating. The drawback that I just read about is the ability to evaporate and yes it can be corrosive. A good friend who supposedly has been building/repairing Harley's most of his life recommended that I switch .. well I won't tell him that I'm going back to DOT 4. Maybe I should.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good call. If it doesn't specifically call for dot5 you shouldn't use it.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Do some research on seal material compatibility between DOT 4 and 5, especially when changing between the 2.

An o'ring or rubber seal might only cost you a few pennies, but it's value in a safety system is priceless!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default o ring

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Do some research on seal material compatibility between DOT 4 and 5, especially when changing between the 2.

An o'ring or rubber seal might only cost you a few pennies, but it's value in a safety system is priceless!
One of the space shuttles found that out!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Etstrine and rkoivisto had the best answers.
Checked the level and it was low. Also guy at Autozone where I picked up some fresh DOT4 said 4 & 5 together causes evaporation ... I'll take his word for it since it was low. Completely flushed it out ran about 2 pints through the bleeder, then brought it up to level. Should be OK. Thanks everyone ... good learning thread I guess

Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll also echo what has been said, if you switch from DOT 4 to 5 or visa versa, you must replace hoses, all 'rubber' parts in the system from master to caliper.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
sbledsoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Maybe I'm missing something here? When going down a long, steep grade, I use the engine (lower gear) more than anything else to keep me at a safe, steady speed. Why would anyone "ride" the brake/s in that situation??

Exactly what I was thinking....besides...the fluid only pushes the calipers out to apply the pads to the discs.....maybe he glazed the pads??? I'll have to read up on this one. Glad the OP came out of it safely and thanks for posting!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Etstrine and rkoivisto had the best answers.
Checked the level and it was low. Also guy at Autozone where I picked up some fresh DOT4 said 4 & 5 together causes evaporation ... I'll take his word for it since it was low. Completely flushed it out ran about 2 pints through the bleeder, then brought it up to level. Should be OK. Thanks everyone ... good learning thread I guess
With respect, I think you are listening to the advice you want to hear! You have a very serious and potentially dangerous situation on your hands. I am not bothered whether you listen to me here or not, it is your bike and your life. All I am suggesting is that you do some independent research on seal comparability on google and then make up your own mind. I doubt very much whether the people employed at Autozone are sufficiently qualified to give you a definitive answer on this subject!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 AM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday. Was a blast, most of the leaves were already down, so hardly any traffic. Oh yeah it was cold too. Anyway had the wife on the back and was zipping along pretty good. Decided to exit the Parkway at Afton mountain. Coming down 250 decided to jump on Route 6 which twists and turns down the mountain really steep. After a couple of wild turns hard on the brakes, my rear brake went out completely. My wife could tell there was something wrong, I used the engine and the front brake to come to a stop. Turned around went back up the mountain and got back on 250 where it's pretty much a gradual descent.
After a while I managed to pump the brake back up. Must of overheated the brake fluid and foamed it up.
My question is, after 2 more days of riding on flat roads, the brake seems to be working fine. Should I be concerned and replace that fluid? I put Dot 5 synthetic in the last time I changed the pads.
Ya, I`ve followed people like you that ride the brake, time to take a riding class?? ya think?????

Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Winterhawk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing. I used DOT 4 in my 2002 Ultra and it needed DOT 5. The fluid jelled up. After getting back home I flushed it out with DOT 5 and it worked great till I traded it in on my 2011. The 2011 takes DOT 4. I think DOT 5 is silicone based and DOT 4 is alcohol based. They won't work together. I was a mile high when it happened on the Cherohala Skyway in TN.

http://www.cherohala.com/

Quick Reply: Lost rear brake coming down mountain