Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any “tricks” to reset the ball ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
To throw two cents worth in here the cable length should not be so loose that when you pull the lever you do not see the clutch pressure plate and diaphram spring pull in. Also make sure that when you break the lock nut you screw the screw in further then just till you get all play out. Sometimes if someone tightens lock nut up too tight it puts a little tightness in the screw and it's really hard to get an idea when you have run all play out. I usually clutch lever mine and and watch the pressure plate as I screw in. After a few times you get it all in your head what it's doing and then when all the play is out I come back about 1/2 turn since I like my clutch up near top of leaver coming out. Then I lengthen cable for minimum play (1/16)at leaver with it pulled up to down tube bar. Also make sure aluminum feral is pushed up at clutch leaver. It will **** sideways and throw your cable adjustment way off and you cable adjustment will end up too long.
Exactly as described above. Replacing diaphram should not affect the ball ramp getting out of adjustment. I bet it works OK if you adjust your cable a little bit so the lever is moving the diaphram while you set the screw in the clutch that works the pushrod to the ramp

Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Procedure done

Gents,

Thought I let you all know that I followed your advice (jacking onto some lumber, max lean, ect.) and it all worked. With your suggestions, and Dawg’s guidance, I was able to get her on the road today for a test ride, and so far, all is good (gotta now look for primary case & tranny cover leaks).

FWIW, after the leaning process (and with the right side exhaust off and the tranny cover off), I was able to manually cycle the ramp back into place – so I didn’t need to remove the C-clip; so I’m happy about that J

Dr. S, (relative to your earlier question ‘bout slacking the cable). Based on my most recent experience, I think I was slacking the cable too much, so resulting from that, I created other issues (as noted above). Perhaps we should contemplate taking some slack out of the cable so we can still ensure the ball ramp still has some pressure, but the clutch pack is still happy, and we still have some tension on the pack…Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again for all of your assistance,