Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any “tricks” to reset the ball ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:33 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
.......... When you normally do a clutch adjustment procedure, do you remember to work the clutch lever about 3 times after you are done in the clutch basket, but before you tighten the cable?
I never understood how to do this part.

Before I tighten the clutch cable, how do I squeeze the clutch lever 3 times if the lever is flopping in the wind from the cable being in a slack position?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drspencer
I never understood how to do this part.

Before I tighten the clutch cable, how do I squeeze the clutch lever 3 times if the lever is flopping in the wind from the cable being in a slack position?

Thanks
You sir, are reading my mind!!!! I thought I was the only one....

Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I guess "squeeze" wasn't the proper choice of a word. I mean "work" the lever back and forth a few times. Yes, the cable is still collapsed during this procedure.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer

The manual states "squeeze clutch lever to maximum limit three times to set ball and ramp mechanism" But technically you "work it" forward and back three times as the cable is collapsed.
Thank you sir...heading to the garage to see what damage I can do/hopefully not :-)

Old 11-12-2011, 01:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

The manual states "squeeze clutch lever to maximum limit three times to set ball and ramp mechanism" But technically you "work it" forward and back three times as the cable is collapsed.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

If I follow the instructions in the manual explicitly, (work/squeeze/coax/beg/persuade the lever 3 times while the cable is slack), I don't think the ball mechanism will even be aware that I'm doing anything. After all, the cable is slack.

Sometimes while the cable is slack, I'll pull the cable housing out of the perch (taking up all the slack) with one hand, then squeeze the lever 3 times with my free hand. Don't know if that's what should be done. Still puzzled.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:14 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer

If I follow the instructions in the manual explicitly, (work/squeeze/coax/beg/persuade the lever 3 times while the cable is slack), I don't think the ball mechanism will even be aware that I'm doing anything. After all, the cable is slack.

Sometimes while the cable is slack, I'll pull the cable housing out of the perch (taking up all the slack) with one hand, then squeeze the lever 3 times with my free hand. Don't know if that's what should be done. Still puzzled.
Dr. S,

You're making me laugh and spit all over the keyboard and screeen!! That said, I belive all of your points are valid, but let's agree not to throw daggers at Dawg -- IMO, he is a foundational & very valuable and contributing member of this forum. I'm trying to motivate myself to go work in a cold garage to do these things he suggested....and you're not helping ;-)

Old 11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BurgundyUltra06
Dr. S,
......... but let's agree not to throw daggers at Dawg -- IMO, he is a foundational & very valuable and contributing member of this forum.
Whoa, back up. I think my humor is getting lost in translation.

My post isn't a dig at Dawg, at all. He actually helped me through all the phases of recent my cam swap. It's thanks to him the bike didn't blow up when I first started it.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:29 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer

Whoa, back up. I think my humor is getting lost in translation.

My post isn't a dig at Dawg, at all. He actually helped me through all the phases of recent my cam swap. It's thanks to him the bike didn't blow up when I first started it.
K. 'Nuf said; no harm, no foul; Let's move on.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,026 Likes on 4,213 Posts

To throw two cents worth in here the cable length should not be so loose that when you pull the lever you do not see the clutch pressure plate and diaphram spring pull in. Also make sure that when you break the lock nut you screw the screw in further then just till you get all play out. Sometimes if someone tightens lock nut up too tight it puts a little tightness in the screw and it's really hard to get an idea when you have run all play out. I usually clutch lever mine and and watch the pressure plate as I screw in. After a few times you get it all in your head what it's doing and then when all the play is out I come back about 1/2 turn since I like my clutch up near top of lever coming out. Then I lengthen cable for minimum play (1/16)at leaver with it pulled up to down tube bar. Also make sure aluminum ferrule is pushed up at clutch lever. It will **** sideways and throw your cable adjustment way off and you cable adjustment will end up too long.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-13-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Dang spelling, always see it after someone quotes me

Quick Reply: Any “tricks” to reset the ball ramp?