Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What service lift to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Meinbmw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What service lift to buy???

I know that some of you have purchased the Sears motorcycle lift for $100 or less .... but, has anyone purchased the Harley service lift and what is your opinion of it (more than 3x the price of the Sears lift!!) Is it a heavier/better quality lift, or are the extra coins for the Harley badge on it?

Thanks for your input.

Curt Hills

Old 07-19-2005, 01:14 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Lift

I did buy the harley lift last time around (long story) and it is a real heavy duty lift, worth the extra $$$??? Don't think so, I think you're paying for the name here. There are other lifts that are worth the same money if you shop around that are probably better yet.

Take a look at Dunwell jacks, very good quality and very sturdy, not much different in price than the HD unit but better quality

http://www.dunwelljacks.com/

Old 07-20-2005, 12:06 AM
mndemohead
Tourer
Default RE: What service lift to buy???

Ive got the sears lift, works just fine, even for my roadking. However, my wifes sporty is a little to low for the lift to slide under easily, I need to put the rear tire on a 1/2 inch thich piece of plywood to slide the lift under on the sporty. My friend has the Harley lift and I dont think its any better quality, and like most everything else that says H.D. on it your paying for the name, however depending on what your bike is I would make sure the lift is low enough to slide under your bike easily, Im not sure if the Harley lift is lower or not.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 PM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the Harley lift when I purchased my Ultra. I already had the Sears and wasn't sure the it would work okay with the Ultra, but after listening to folks here I've been using it. The Sears lift works just fine, I just make sure I put a towel over the seat and really tie it down well. The ultra likes to "rock" a bit more than my previous ride.

If you really want what looks like a great lift, Crusing Rider Mag. Sept has a write up on one (it is expensive though). www.norcoind.com or to go to the lift quickly: http://www.bestmotorcyclelifts.com/home.html

Joe

Old 07-20-2005, 12:40 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought an el'cheapo from Checkers last year.. I love it.. Other than replacing all of the fasteners with quality ones.. It holds my Ultra just like a baby!

-NFE

Old 07-20-2005, 02:30 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: jlacasci

I looked at the Harley lift when I purchased my Ultra. I already had the Sears and wasn't sure the it would work okay with the Ultra, but after listening to folks here I've been using it. The Sears lift works just fine, I just make sure I put a towel over the seat and really tie it down well. The ultra likes to "rock" a bit more than my previous ride.

If you really want what looks like a great lift, Crusing Rider Mag. Sept has a write up on one (it is expensive though). www.norcoind.com or to go to the lift quickly: http://www.bestmotorcyclelifts.com/home.html

Joe
That's one heck of a lift with 1/4 inch thick steel

Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Meinbmw
Intermediate

The RiderLift looks awesome .... thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Meinbmw
Intermediate

Hey TC ...

Took your advice and ordered the Dunwell lift. They advised that while the dyna heads (lifting bars) were an optional item, if I ordered it right from the factory they would swap and put on the dyna heads vs. the stock heads at no charge! They said the dynas were wider and would work on my '05 Ultra better than the standard heads. Can't beat that for customer service!

Thanks for the tip - can't wait for it to arrive.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:55 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Curt
Good move. I know you'll be happy with it, especially the quality, they do have a low riser and a taller one that lifts the bike higher, don't know if you are aware of that.

Let us know what you think of it when it comes.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Meinbmw
Intermediate

TC -

Bought the model 2000 which has a lift range from 4.5 to 24 inches .... should relieve these old bones from crawling around on the cement floor to do service work and cleaning!

Thanks again for the heads up!

Quick Reply: What service lift to buy???