Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise coming from my 103 stage IV

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
gliding10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cyder, no the stealer that put it in when I bought it screwed up install according the indie at the shop. He said it was all slapped together and an oil ring broke and chewed up my rear cylinder. I saw it and it was s screwed. Couldn't even hone out cylinder to save it. I did have the an extreme sound coming out of big breather kit. Before I heathen check out my problem. Fixed problem and noise is slightly down not as loud. According to indie and shop owner they leaked down my motor on dyno cause I thought it was a sticky valve and valve guide was broke

Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
gliding10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cyder, no the stealer that put it in when I bought it screwed up install according the indie at the shop. He said it was all slapped together and an oil ring broke and chewed up my rear cylinder. I saw it and it was s screwed. Couldn't even hone out cylinder to save it. I did have the an extreme sound coming out of big breather kit. Before I heathen check out my problem. Fixed problem and noise is slightly down not as loud. According to indie and shop owner they leaked down my motor on dyno cause I thought it was a sticky valve and valve guide was broke possibly. All checked out fine. I'm gonna try to get some video for u guys to hear an see what u think. And to compare for u Cyder. Good luck

Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The bike is still at the shop. Brought her in Friday and though it would be worked on today but they didnt pull her apart. I will try and get a video and post it so that you guys can hear the noise. Most people who dont know better think thats the way the engine sounds. But that tap tap tap noise is driving me crazy. It gets even louder when i wear my bell custom 500 helmet. Its a muffled sound when the helmet is on. oMG is sounds annoying LOL

Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

With the limited information, we have to guess, mine is the rocker boxes need clearanced with the 260 cams. Id also venture to say that these cams will come on later than you'd like if you use this bike as a daily driver. JMO though

Last edited by 1931jamesw; 11-12-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:58 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $$$ is on James thought...

Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
cycler
Road Master

Well as it turned out it was the rocker arm supports and rocker rollers that were the issue. The rear one was cracked. So Im getting the screaming eagle ones installed in the front and rear. $622.80 and the bike will be good as new. They guys there arent charging me for labor. Its not under warranty since I have a 103 stage IV screaming eagle kit in there. At least I saved on labor and got 10% off the parts.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cycler, do you know what caused the cracking to occur?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
cycler
Road Master

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
cycler, do you know what caused the cracking to occur?
The service tech told me I should of changed these from the begining to do a higher output engine. The stock ones were cast while the SE ones are forged. Here is my dilema. I dont know if these were cracked before the install or after. And since it cant be proven when it occured they arent charging me for the labor. Once they do a 103 stage IV install the warranty is void on the motor. He did tell me before they began the work that this might happen and that it would be better if I installed them back then. Cost would of been less also. Since this is a high output motor the taping sound was louder and more noticable. I put 5K miles on it and it began occuring 2-3 days after I got it back. So again not sure if it happened after the install or before. Either way the parts will be installed and Im good to ride

Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I missed the part where you mentioned you're running roller rockers but I should have assumed you were with a 600 lift cam. What part exactly was cracked and what ratio and brand rockers are you running?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 PM
cycler
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
I guess I missed the part where you mentioned you're running roller rockers but I should have assumed you were with a 600 lift cam. What part exactly was cracked and what ratio and brand rockers are you running?
I was running stock ones before now the are installing screaming eagle ones. Im not sure what part cracked. I havent seen them yet however i was told the rear one cracked.

Quick Reply: weird noise coming from my 103 stage IV