Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow speed wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Slow speed wobble

I just got some E 3s on my 09 Ultra and now I get a more pronounced wobble around 25 - 30 mph. It has always done that, and as I have heard the dreaded response of "they do that" , now its a lot more noticible. Used to be solid on a highway clover leaf (at around 30 mph) but now wants to shake in the turn.
The weird part is, the indy says he doesnt' use wheel weights at all but I found one on the rear. I had the wheels powdercoated and new tires at the same time. Its been to the dealer once since, but not for anything to do with the wheels.

Neck bearing test stops on the third swing.

Indy mounted the tires with a static balancer, taking the front wheel and tire back today for a re check. Guess the next move after a test ride, it it stlll wants to wobble, would be take it back off again for a spin balance?? Can the rear wheel balance affect the front like this? Would dyna beads be an option? Can't figure it out..........yet
Hope someone can give me a better idea
Thanks

Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Couple ideas; you have 2 new tires, it is not impossible for one of them to have a defect that causes the wobble. More likely it's the balance, it sound like your balance condition may be a little wishy-woshy, I don't understand how someone claims to static balance, but doesn't use weights, and then you found a weight. Do yourself a favor and get the tire/wheel assembly spin ballanced by a reputable shop. Beware that many shops will not take the time to properly R&R your drive pulley and rotors when changing tires, correctly torquing those items is critical.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

...and balance is not alway only at one place on the circumference, but can also be heavy, or lighter on one side.

examine the tire for markings of a factory second or defect

and yes, tires need to be spin balanced

if you raise the tire up and spin by hand, it should stop in a different position each time

mike

mike

Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies
Just took it back to the indy for another try at balancing, and he said he will take it to a spin balancer. I will put it back on tonight and hope it was just a little out of balance

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

if the result is good and he eats the cost, then it is a win/win.

You are out a little time, but learned something--- as did the indy, a cheap lesson that can have him better serve his customers and start looking for a spin balancer.

Mike

Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

if the result is good and he eats the cost, then it is a win/win.

You are out a little time, but learned something--- as did the indy, a cheap lesson that can have him better serve his customers and start looking for a spin balancer.

Mike

Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strange but does sound like a possible balance issue. I love my E3s, second rear and no issues. I mounted and static balanced my own and I am by no means an expert. Your Indy should be able to trouble shoot it, otherwise find a new wrench!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Got the same wobble on mine with old tires and with 2 new tires. I am using dyna beads. I don't think it has anything to do with balancing. I think there is a problem with these bikes that the mfr either can't find or does not want to tell the world. Lots of discussion here on the forums but I don't think I heard of anyone actually solving the problem completely.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
caspr2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much air pressure you running, go my the tire mfg recommendations and go to the higher end on your pressures.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,026 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Could be just the fill from a new tire compared to your old? What were you old? Just put a new one on rear however and it took my low speed in turn twitch away. Most tires and cast wheels need little weight. My Harley dealer dynamic spin balances them. Static unless you have plenty of time is crap. Beads do nothing and are smoke. Do not think balance would cause wobble unless it was real bad. You will fill balance at 60 on smooth road as a up and down bump in bars. Jack bike and spin tire to see if it runs true and even. true = wobble. even = indicator on od or slide a board under it to see if it is same distance away from board all around (crude-really need indicator)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-10-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Slow speed wobble