Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have Experience With Day-Long Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Anyone Have Experience With Day-Long Seats?

Starting to think about seats. New seats, modded seats, heated seats...

I can't go more than about 1 - 2 hours on the OEM seat before I start butt dancing, trying to stay comfortable. Using my Air Hawk pad helps, but it is not the 100% answer. By the way Momma says she is perfectly happy with the back seat.

I was thinking that if I have Day-Long do their thing to the front Momma can keep her comfy back seat...

I also possibly going to consider the heated seat option for Momma. Any non living thing that keeps Momma's butt warm is a good thing in my book...

Any how, does any one out there have first hand experience with Day-Long seats?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
...Any how, does any one out there have first hand experience with Day-Long seats?
I've had a couple of them...the first one was their all-vinyl seat with built-in back rest. The second one was all leather with backrest too.

The fit on the first one was OK but needed an adjustment which they did to my satisfaction...just the shipping costs and time. If you can ride to their factory in northern California, they'll fit it right there for you.

They kept my measurements and built a second one a couple years later...this one was all leather and the only way to go...much more comfortable in both hot and cold weather (I'll never go back to vinyl).

All their seats looks just about the same but once the fit is correct, they are very comfortable. IMHO, worth the added expense if your current seat is really lacking.

I would buy another based on my past experience with them.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Default Day long seat

PFWiz, A Day long is a great seat. I had one on my 89 Ultra.It was not cheap. Resently I had John at Bike Soultions redo my 012 Ultra seat and I'm very pleased with the results at a very reasonable price. I also a had a Tom Simmons seat and Tom's seat was the one I like the best. Expensive but a great hand tailored seat.

You can beat John's product for the price you pay..The new seat is very comfortable and for the price you can't beat John's quality seat..

Like to Bike Soultions = http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/

Link to Tom Simmons = http://tscustomseats.com/about.html

Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
09BIKER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one on my last bike. Both I and the wife really liked it. I would recommend the all leather one. It does poke the thighs when you are at a stop, but really cups you when you have the feet up and are traveling.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one on my last bike (03 RKC) and it was by far the most comfortable saddle I have ever owned. If it would have fit my current bike it would be on it. I agree with the others on the leather as I had it remade after 100,000 miles thinking it was time. At the second go around I switched to vinyl due to my riding pants slipping on the leather and though it fixed the slipping it was less comfortable. I also had heat in both buckets
Once I can save up the cash I plan on getting one for this bike. I already pick up a second factory saddle so I have the pan to send in.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM
weelbur2
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default russell day long

PFWiz...i had russell turn my police saddle into a day-long, and it has been the most comfortable seat that i have ever owned (stock, mustang, ultimate). i took russell's advice and had my seat built with vinyl sides (strength) and a leather seat (comfort).

since they only build a seat on an existing seat pan, i found a second seat on ebay (cheap), and had it delivered directly to russell, thereby allowing me to continue riding until my "day long" arrived. if you don't have an extra seat hanging around the garage, a visit to your local motorcycle salvage yard may be worth the trip.

as stated above, these hand-built seats aren't cheap, but, you do have options; padding, support, fabrics, stitching, etc. that will allow you to have an attractive, comfortable seat without breaking the bank.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Have Experience With Day-Long Seats?-dsc_0152.jpg   Anyone Have Experience With Day-Long Seats?-dsc_0213.jpg   Anyone Have Experience With Day-Long Seats?-dsc_0153-copy.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Russell on my 10 Ultra Limited. In fact, I have had a Russell Day-long on my last 8 motorcycles, including BMWs and a GoldWing. For my money, its the best long-distance saddle on the market. 600 mile consecutive days are not a problem for me. My current saddle is all leather - the half moon pattern. I had the back rest on the Tourpak recovered in leather and the same pattern as well. The rider adjustable backrest works great as well. The saddle is made for you, so you send a photo of yourself in a comfortable sitting position and they build the saddle according to your weight and seating position. If you decide you need any adjustments to the saddle, send it back and they do it for no extra charge. You can get a heated version as well. A good company to deal with.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on my Concours. Looks butt ugly but it works. FYI, there was a thread on this about a year ago