Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hoop on older baggers-REMOVABLE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This bracket by Bruisers will do the job you want.

http://www.baggersmag.com/tech/0811_...tor/index.html

Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ive had mine off for several thousand miles with the bruisers bracket , i consistently run 100mph and ive never felt any difference . the above pic of the naked frame says it all !

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be putting Autogem shotgun lights in place of my hoop.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrider05
ive seen a couple comments on removing that rear bar where the license plate bolts too on the older baggers.

My question is do i dare remove it? i see some have but one gentlemen said he swore it affected handling (made the back end soft)... is that possible? i dont see it affecting the rear swing arm at all?

any input would be awsome, i fee like it would clean up the rear fender and let it flow a little better, thanks folks
There are many that say "I've removed it with no problems.
But, remember that the cross brace is what supports the rear shock, fender and bag mounts. They are intricate to keeping the spacing between the rear braces. As it controls the position of the shocks, I would say it could effect the handling, when ride hard.
Remove it and the rear can flex. It may be small and most don't see any change. But it is just a small movement and it may take years for damage to surface. Any movement can cause metal fatigue and the rear to break. The harder and more often you ride, the more likely you are to have a failure. Just look at the photo that was posted of the frame. You can see how little support there is for the rear without the cross brace.

But if you don't ride much, or hard, you may not ever find any problems.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Are you going to believe a Klingon?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
There's no way the license plate bar can affect handling one way or another (good or bad). That bar is attached to the fender struts, which exist simply to hang the rear fender on. If you cut the fender struts off and ran without a rear fender, the bike would handle the same. The frame is already welded together side to side, which is much more robust than screwing on that little license plate hoop.

If you look at your photo, the only thing, besides the rear cross brace (It is not called a "license plate bar") that keeps the rear of the frame separated is the small flat plate to bolt the front of the fender and rear of the battery tray.

The rear has the top shock mount and the saddlebag mounting points, as well as the fender points. The Rear Cross Brace is the only thing that keep the entire rear of the frame from flexing.

You may not feel it, but is is moving when put under pressure.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
cotter pin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have removed mine and I do not have any problems to report. I would do it again.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I've never taken any of mine off, but I think Ultra89 makes a good point about the upper shock mount.

Zach

Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Do you think the manufacturers of the accessories designed to plug the hole where the hoop was removed from would sell his product without a disclaimer if there had ever been a documented problem. I don't think so.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

In spite of our armchair engineers, riders have been removing the hoop for years. My first was in '93. That bike is still on the road (fourth owner) and doing just fine, thank you.

HD themselves removed it on at least one CVO model.

Quick Reply: Rear hoop on older baggers-REMOVABLE?