Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra or a 2012 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011 | 04:18 PM
sparky1
Road Captain

I have an 08 ultra with ABS and 35000miles,wouldn't trade it for anything else except maybe a CVO Ultra or CVO Roadie with ABS of course.

Old 11-09-2011 | 05:09 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer

I love my 08 Ultra. No reason to test ride a newer model so no trade for me either. I have ABS.
Ratkiller

Old 11-09-2011 | 05:58 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Why not find an '08 with ABS. That's what I have and it's been a great bike with no problems, except shock that leaked oil and needed replacement.

Old 11-09-2011 | 06:17 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Something that no one else ever brings up on these comparison threads, is the difference in weight.

A 2008 is 814 dry, 851 wet.

A 2012 is 852/889.

These bikes have gotten heavier over the years, and a good share of the increased engine displacement is just to push more weight down the road.

Someone mentioned a 2006? Ours is 788/819 .

Old 11-09-2011 | 06:21 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
I have an 03 FLHTCUI and I love it. It is hard to stop fast without locking up rears, so ABS is the main reason I would buy a newer bike. Dont get a new bike without ABS.
Get an EZ Brake pedal, and you'll no longer have that problem.

The stock Harley rear "stomp" brake pedal is the most ridiculous thing they ever put on their bikes. There is no way to modulate your brake pedal pressure if you have to lift your foot off the floorboard to step on the brake.

Old 11-09-2011 | 08:04 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
I have an '09 from new. No Problems.
What problems have YOU had with the '09/up you are talking about?

Or it is just you have a '06/older model and are just knocking the newer models to justify why you have not bought one?
Problems I've had with 09 up include .........NOTHING!!! Cause i'm not gonna own one! Could I? Sure with no problem. In our riding group of 35 or so bikes all but 6 of us have traded up(?) to the awesome new frame of the 09s and up. The VAST majority of them have had numerous problems. Way more than new bikes should have. I'm not tryin to say the 06 down bikes never have problems but when they do its because we caused it. The newer bikes that havent had any significant amount of problems are garage queens. I'm sure there are some great 09ups out there, but when you live in a city of 8000 people and you know first hand 25 unsatisfied owners who wish they'd kept their older bikes it tends to make one give advise as I did. If you ever hear of me owning one you can rest assured someone gave it to me.

Old 11-09-2011 | 08:10 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

I have an 08 with 47k and ABS it has been a great bike, sure you have to do some things to them to make them handle a little better and no one really does nothing to their bikes but I tell you what, I am going to just keep mine when it needs a new bullet in it, look out the 120R will be bolted in and a fresh paint job. This will be my last Harley from my current perspective.

Old 11-09-2011 | 08:31 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Problems I've had with 09 up include .........NOTHING!!! Cause i'm not gonna own one! Could I? Sure with no problem. In our riding group of 35 or so bikes all but 6 of us have traded up(?) to the awesome new frame of the 09s and up. The VAST majority of them have had numerous problems. Way more than new bikes should have. I'm not tryin to say the 06 down bikes never have problems but when they do its because we caused it. The newer bikes that havent had any significant amount of problems are garage queens. I'm sure there are some great 09ups out there, but when you live in a city of 8000 people and you know first hand 25 unsatisfied own
ers who wish they'd kept their older bikes it tends to make one give advise as I did. If you ever hear of me owning one you can rest assured someone gave it to me.

I have an 06 softy and I love my bike but I don't think there are more problems with the nearer bikes. Are u forgetting about the cam tensioner in the year of bike u have that is sh**????

To the OP I would not be looking new just because of the ABS and the frame. If that is what u want find a good used 09 or even newer but used. Let someone else add all the things u would need to add to a new bike without u having to pay for all the goodies. There are plenty of good bikes out there with nice prices associated to them GL

Old 11-09-2011 | 08:57 PM
Ride Ultra
Advanced

Not had any problems with my '09, bought with 9K and put 6K on it in 8 months. No issues and really enjoy the way I can toss it around in the twisties, great handling for a full dresser. Also rode an '08 and could tell a bit of a difference, not bad, just different.

Looked at the '12 but the salesman said the 2012 103 was needed to help push it down the road due to reasons already mentioned but he added the catalytic converters also necessitated a 103. He said the 103 with converters performs comparable to the 96ci without. With high-flow, pipes and fuel mgt, we 96s are running just strong. Dunno if it's true, just repeating.

Last edited by Ride Ultra; 11-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2011 | 09:10 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Problems I've had with 09 up include .........NOTHING!!! Cause i'm not gonna own one! Could I? Sure with no problem. In our riding group of 35 or so bikes all but 6 of us have traded up(?) to the awesome new frame of the 09s and up. The VAST majority of them have had numerous problems. Way more than new bikes should have. I'm not tryin to say the 06 down bikes never have problems but when they do its because we caused it. The newer bikes that havent had any significant amount of problems are garage queens. I'm sure there are some great 09ups out there, but when you live in a city of 8000 people and you know first hand 25 unsatisfied owners who wish they'd kept their older bikes it tends to make one give advise as I did. If you ever hear of me owning one you can rest assured someone gave it to me.
I have over 52K miles on my "Garage Queen". How many do you have?
I live in Southern California. I split lanes, ride short and long rides.
The only problem I have had is the recall on the front tire. Now the rear brake switch.
Both corrected during the scheduled Service performed.
Now I have had to replace both front (once) and rear (Twice) tires.
The tread was worn out.

The bike is as good as the rider that maintains it. If it sits, it breaks.

Now, lets ride.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 11-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Ultra or a 2012 Ultra?