Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Rear Fender on a Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Street Glide Rear Fender on a Road King Custom

Thanks, the reason I asked is i drag my floorboards all the time and Im thinking of moving from my Deluxe to a Road King and would hate to not be able to do any customizing for fear of that.
ORIGINAL: Fast Eddie

ZJAvy:

Thanks. I have the Legend Airide setup on it so I can raise it. Even so, at full height it is still at the Road King Custom 1" lower height than a standard Road King. Yeah, I drag the bags sometimes; mostly if I forget to put it up all the way. I have only put minor scuffs on the bottoms; you can't see them and I have had them repaired (price of the look I guess) but I am thinking of fabricating some kind of skid plate for the bottom side of the bags to protect them

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/285FFF8B5E68417DA0C17E701365001C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hardly:

Yeah it's me. I found this forum by accident while looking for part numbers for the Streetglide rear fender treatment that I put on. My back holds up fine; I like the forward leaning riding position; similar to my Fatboy (which I still have); never gets uncomfortable for me but I never ride more than 200 miles at a time. Congrats on the Streetglide. If that bike had been out when I bought my Custom I probably would have gone with it. I am considering a removable Fairing so I may end having the best of both.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/D88D3F7A369E4746AD0BAA00B47EA5B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain

ZJAvy:

If you only lower the Road King 1" as with the low profile touring shocks I don't think you will have any problems. It's the adjustable airride suspension and forgetting to put it up all the way that causes the problem. If you go with stock height shocks then absolutely no problems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/FB605C1538C045F597EA752D86E9017F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eddie, you will like it here. Alot of useful info and good guys. I love what you did to your custom. Any time you want to swap bikes just let me know.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Ran across this on ebay; it appears to be everything needed for the installation of a Street Glide rear fender/LED kit except for the fasteners that attach it to the fender. If you are interested it may be worth watching and bidding. Cost from MOCO is about $165.00 after a 20% discount:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Apologies to the Forum moderator if this posting is not okay.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
AZ HARLEY
Cruiser

Has anyone done this Upgrade to a RKC with hard Leather bags?
Pics??
I scored one on Ebay last nite and wonder what i'll need Hardware wise.
Thanks for any help!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 PM
snoopy
Advanced

Looks great.I just ordered parts to day not prices you stated and 07marige orange paint was a killer. Where did you get parts at that price?

Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

Eddie...tell me what size plates you want for the bottom of your bags, and i will laser cut it for you, I am thinking like 14 guage, I got tons of small pieces of stainless and I will put holes in the plates and you can rivet them on, and if you hurry and tell me sizes, I will send them to you with your wheels and tires.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

For those interested in this mod, send me a PM with your email address and I will email you pages 112-114 of the 2006 HD Parts book for Touring models which shows the FLHX fender, facia, etc. and the corresponding parts numbers. As for pricing, the prices were in effect last spring when I bought them from a HD intenet sales site. The facia part was then VIN restricted, it no longer is,and I know HD reads these forums so I will continue to "protect the source."

The facia now lists for about $96 and the LED light kit about $68. The rest of the hardware is nominal and you should get what you need for about $200.

There shouldn't be any issues with Road KingCustom or Classics in using leather bags as all touring bikes use the same saddlebag mounting brackets. I have mounted RK Custom leather bags without any clearance issues on my '04 EG.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Just sent you an email Carl, also as I asked in my email.
Why not post the parts sheets right here on the forum?
I'm thinking it may be a copyright thing, but, if not,why not?
Man this forum is awsome. Lots of great folks with all kinds of great ideas, advice and experience!

Quick Reply: Street Glide Rear Fender on a Road King Custom