Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Rear Fender on a Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:56 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 517 Likes on 360 Posts
Default RE: Street Glide Rear Fender on a Road King Custom

Sweet !!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2006, 03:56 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks WAY hot!!!!

love the bags too

Old 12-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it is a good lookin scoot for sure [8D]

Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deadly looking Custom!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the parts list from Harleypingman. He was very helpful in assisting me on this. The only correction I would make is that you need 6 #7499 Flange Nuts not 4. Also, if you want the solid hole plugs (no antenna, no tour pack) you need two part #59749-06 Plugs instead of the Grommets.

One thing I did not realize was that I would have to drill six holes in the fender to hold the fascia sides in place. I carefully measured the fascia location and stud placement on a dealer Streetglide to get an accurate location of the hole placement and made a template to drill the holes.

I assumed the LED Tip Light would just plug in to any Roadking wiring harness. Not so. It plugs in under the Streetglide seat and the harness is specific to the Streetglide. There is, however, a tip light pin housing in all Roadking Tail Lights. In order to plug it in to the tip light pin housing in the stock tail light housing without splicing any wires I fabricated the "Y" adapter shown below. It allows the License Plate Relocation Kit and the LED Tip Light to both be plugged into the tip light pin housing in the stock tail light. There is not room in the tail light housing for the "Y" adapter so it has to be located inside of the fender and secured with the wire clips already located there. If you don't relocate the license plate you can just remove the pin housing that comes with the LED Tip Light and replace it with a socket housing and plug it into the tip light pin housing in the stock tail light.

I hope this helps as I spent too much time trying to figure out how to connect these lights without splicing wires.

Also does anyone know the part number for the "Support Tube" for the Streetglide. It is the part that has the holes for mounting the license plate on other Roadking models. I would like to replace Roadking version with the Streeglide version and get rid of the "Harley Davidson" decorative cover that comes with the License Plate Relocation Kit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/B75809C4E3304934B08A72106C8DE15B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain

Ok, I found the part number for the "Support Tube" if anyone is interested. It is Part #53628-06 and is called "Support Tube, bottom"
in the parts manual and is $67.50 retail and $54 at the discounters. Again, it replaces the stock Road King "Support Tube" which has threaded holes in it for the license plate mount with the Streetglide version that has no holes in it.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:15 PM
joe v
Cruiser

has anybody done this using the stock bags

Old 12-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain

Joe V:

Do you mean with the Road King Custom Leather Bags? If so I haven't seen it done.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:02 PM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

Good job Eddie, that is a hot mod.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Great job, Fast Eddie, and thanks for the acknowledgement--we all help each other when we can.

Regarding the tube, ask your dealer if he knows any SG owners who have installed the Stealth Luggage Rack, Harley part no. 53938-04 which takes the place of the SG support tube. You can probably buy the support tube they removed to install the Stealth rack. I know two guys who installed the Stealth rack. Let me know if you are interested in buying one of them for $25 and I will see if they want to sell.

As for drilling six holes to mount the effects panel, I would have preferred that to spending almost $200 for an FLHX fender; the Electra Glide fender has a large hole left of center near the bottom--not very cool to do an FLHX LED/effects panel and have a quarter size hole in the bottom of the fender.

And thanks for adding the information on the wiring for the LED light. My installation was done by a HD dealer and your info was new to me. Also, thanks for the info on the plugs. I am thinking of removing the two up docking hardware and simply going with a solo detachable--(the reason--my new girlfriend rides her own RK Classic)

Still, it is a great modification and you will continue to get a lot of compliments on your work.

Quick Reply: Street Glide Rear Fender on a Road King Custom