Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Rear Fender on a Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Nilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but has something drastically changed with fender pricing? There was a quote early on in this thread of $174 and change for an FLHX rear fender.... When I look that part up it's over $500. What am I missing?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Why would you think you are "missing" anything. The price is what HD says it is. Of course, HD no longer uses the '08 and older fender in it's current production so perhaps that accounts for the increase in price. And, the price I quoted is 7 years old.

Suggestion: Buy a used, undamaged fender on ebay, Craig'slist, etc. if you need a fender w/o a fender tip light, and have it painted to match the bike. As others have done, if the fender is not from an SG, simply use the fascia as a template for where to drill the three holes per side to mount it using the parts I listed previously.

If that's too much trouble, I don't have any suggestion other than to pay for a new SG fender.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 07-07-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Nilla
Cruiser

Nope. Not too much trouble. Not sure where you got that impression from. I'm watching a couple on EBay right now. I only asked because it seemed strange to me that a painted street stalker front fender, for instance, is only about $160. I realize that a SG rear is more material and complexity of design, but still couldn't see how it's over 3 times the cost. That, combined with the earlier cost (albeit 6 years old) had me wondering if perhaps I was looking in the wrong places or at the wrong thing. I'm not new to motorcycles but I am new to HD.

I'll probably look into just doing some bodywork to cover the light/trim mounting holes to my existing RK fender, but I'm gonna guess that will probably cost as much as a decent used SG fender.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 AM
NBK
Intermediate
Default Brake light doesn't light up...

Maybe I missed the information here but I am having some troubles...

I have a 2015 FLHR and recently swapped out the stock rear fender and lighting with a 2015 FLHXS rear fender and lights. The main harness connector from the stock FLHR mates with the FLHXS harness though does not 'click' or lock into place. When I provide power I have running lights on all lights (signals as well as the LED brake light) the turn signals do operate correctly for both left and right turn signals but when the brake is applied by either front or rear operation there is no brake light and the LED does not illuminate any brighter.

I checked the schematics and they both appear to have the correct configuration:

PIN 1: RY

PIN 2: BE/BN

PIN 3: BE

PIN 4: BE/R

PIN 5: BE/V

PIN 6: BK

There is an error code on the DTC (B2161): Brake Lamp Output Open

I have tried clearing it and any other error codes but it will come up each time the brakes are activated.

So I am wondering if I require a load equalizer since the FLHR used a bulb and the FLHXS uses an LED for the brakes. Or if I need the Tour Pak harness some have referred to.

Anyone have some advice they can offer?
Thanks!

Old 03-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Rudeman422
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a run/turn/brake controller because the Road King isn't designed to output the brake signal to the turn signals from the factory.

HD Part Number 68000123A

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...conversion-kit

The following users liked this post:
NBK (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM
NBK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rudeman422
You need a run/turn/brake controller because the Road King isn't designed to output the brake signal to the turn signals from the factory.

HD Part Number 68000123A

Thanks Rudeman.

I might go this route as it may alleviate other potential issues as well.

With a lot of research I also discovered that it might be possible for an HD Tech with the DTII (Digital Technician) to re-program the BCR of the bike to recognize/check the current from the turn signals. Apparently they can check off a box that will make the signal lights turn AND brake lights. The cost is about .5 hours minimum shop time.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 PM
NBK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rudeman422

HD Part Number 68000123A

Thanks again. Got the part in the mail yesterday and tried it. Still doesn't work.

Again I am using the FLHSX rear fender and lights. I put the conversion kit inline and though now I do have brake lights on the turn signals, the red error light (B2161) still occurs even after resetting. The error is Brake Light Output Open.

I am going to take it to the shop and see what they can do to fix this... with and without the new conversion kit.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
NBK
Intermediate
Default Update!

Took it to the HD Dealer... we removed the conversion kit, connected the DTII to the bike and within a minute we had the turn signals now being, running, turn/hazard, and brake lights.

Cool thing was they didn't charge me; "it take more money to write up a work order". So double bonus!

Old 03-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,724 Likes on 843 Posts

I went with the SG fenders, sidecovers, and bags theme. With some CVO touches (wheels, seat, console, shocks, rear pegs)

Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DI75
Very nice look Eddie!!
Nice bike.......I mean the one you pedal. Nice to see another road biker here.