Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
...Once you use a microfibre cloth toss it in the rag bin for spills and crap like that...

They can and will pick up the wrong stuff and as you found out will scratch your paint. Even if you wash them things get stuck in the fibres that you can't see until it's tooooooo late.

JMHO
I'll even go a step further... I rarely use microfiber cloths. I prefer cotton terry cloths and diapers or t-shirts in most cases. Microfibers do have there place, but they are not the best all around cleaning/polishing cloths and are definitely the most risky as the OP just found out.

And that to is just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

I know this opinion is contrary to what a lot of you believe, but there were sure enough a lot of nice paint jobs around well before the advent of microfiber cloths. How did they do it then? Cotton!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I'll even go a step further... I rarely use microfiber cloths. I prefer cotton terry cloths and diapers or t-shirts in most cases. Microfibers do have there place, but they are not the best all around cleaning/polishing cloths and are definitely the most risky as the OP just found out.

And that to is just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

I know this opinion is contrary to what a lot of you believe, but there were sure enough a lot of nice paint jobs around well before the advent of microfiber cloths. How did they do it then? Cotton!
Cotton/terry cloths and diapers or t-shirts. Worked for me for last 39 yrs.

SGV here. Has been nice riding lately.

Last edited by BBStacker; 11-08-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM
G20
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a black bike too. I have tried many different brands of polish and find that the HD brand Scratch and Swirl Remover works the best. I use it with a microfiber in a back and forth motion.

Zaino polish works good too, but I have noticed it leaves a slight haze. The HD brand leaves my tank and fairing looking like glass, even under flouresent lighting.

Just my experience. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by G20
I have a black bike too. I have tried many different brands of polish and find that the HD brand Scratch and Swirl Remover works the best. I use it with a microfiber in a back and forth motion.

Zaino polish works good too, but I have noticed it leaves a slight haze. The HD brand leaves my tank and fairing looking like glass, even under flouresent lighting.

Just my experience. Good luck!
Ah! So you know all about flourescent lighting too!

I've painted hundreds of cars in my garage (which was set-up as a spray booth at the time) over the years, ranging from the days of acrylic lacquers to the early years of urethanes. I have both flourescent, and incadescent lighting installed. The flourescents are great for doing the work... But nothing beats the incadescents for admiring the work.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I made the mistake of using one of those gas station window squeegees to clean the bugs of my fairing. 4" scratch right down the middle of the fairing. Picked up some Meguiar's scratch remover and the scratch disappeared. Good stuff.

DJK

Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 AM
who?me?
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also try to remember that I am not polishing out the scratch. I am rounding the edge of the scratch or taking the rest of the clear coat down to the scratch level. The edge or wall of the scratch is what is reflected back at your eye. Think upside down triangle.

There is a limit to how much paint can be removed. Some scratches have to be lived with. Sometimes I over think this stuff.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Meguiars Scratch X...works wonders. Black/dark colors are a pain to keep perfect...
+1 on the Meguiars.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 3M swirl mark remover then use Glare http://www.glare.com/product_detail.php?id=10 on top of that it removes all scratches paint looks like new. I use this with a small 3" gray 3m buffing pad that I run with my hand drill. Glare had a swirl mark remover called spider haven't tired it but will their stuff works wonders.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a porter cable buffer with a 3" backing plate and I've used it one bikes with 100% success. Its a random orbital buffer, so it doesn't spin in one direction, so it won't burn the pain. I use Menzerna polished and compounds and I have been AMAZED with the results.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Mother's line of polishes and cleaners.
Won a complete line of their products as a door prize and must admit, they are amazing. Especially the detailing spray.

Quick Reply: Paint Scratch