Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Communication device and music

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 PM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Communication device and music

Thinking of kicking off a winter mod. I am looking at the scala rider G4 and was hoping for some input on using the Bluetooth feature to listen to music from my phone. I current have a Droid incredible but thinking of going the iPhone route. Has anyone had any success with this and if so what quality can I expect. I currently have a wired system from my nano to a small amp to my helmet speakers with a quick detach at the helmet and a volume control at my chest. Looking at the wireless option with the phone most likely mounted on the bars.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM
longvisitdc
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the scala g4 connected to my evo 3d and it works as promised. I keep the phone in my jacket so I have a few complaints with the ability to remote control the phone. The first being play and pause shouldn't be a six second button press that doesn't seem to work consistently. If I need to pause the music I need to do it now. You can skip tracks backwards and forwards pretty easily. For android I recommend an app called choice dialer + , this adds a few features but most importantly gives a n audio confirmation of who you are dialing before placing a call from your helmet. The built in Android bluetooth dialer only confirm,s the call on your screen, not good for me and distracting for you. The biggest complaint I have is sound quality. It just isn't that good. I've used a lot of Velcro circles in my shoei qwest helmet to position them right next to my ear but the bass just isn't there. Its listenable but that's about as far as I would go. There is someone on the internet who will add a headphone jack so you can use earbuds and i am sure that would solve the problem. For podcasts it works very well. Phone calls are surprisingly clear.

Overall you'll get wireless, not much of a new battery charging problem, better volume control, the ability to make and take phone calls but suffer in audio quality. I'm glad I made the purchase and I've never even tried the intercom.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser

Thanks for the review, very helpful!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor
Default Ear bud options

There are a lot of people out there using the Scala G4 that are happy with the music / sound quality. I suspect longvisitDC is using an open face or half helmet but he didn't specify. The G4 is one of the more expensive sets and the main reason to choose it above some of the other brands is the helmet to helmet intercom range (up to 1 mile) and the built in FM (which many people complain about). If you are really looking for just phone and music you would do well to check out the Sena SMH10.
The single button and jog dial is far superior to having 4 or more buttons to mess with. You can get an additional helmet clamp with built in ear bud jack for $25 and keep the standard helmet clamp for a full face / winter helmet if you use one. The volume and music quality is as good if not better than the G4. The only features it lacks in comparison is FM radio, 3 way helmet calling and the range is up to 1/2 mile.

We offer free shipping on all Sena products and have them listed at the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price).

Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser

Wow, nice product! Look like what I am looking for. Will probably go with the dual set. Thanks a lot for the info. Love this forum, has saved me tons of time and cash so far.