Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pac removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour Pac removal

I'm looking for a bit of help on the subject of a tour pac removal project I have going on. The bike is a 2007 FLHTCUI with a HK head unit, and what I am working on is removing the tour pac and installing a progressive tail dragger system as well. Now what I am having issues with is the black box under the tour pac. How or where or what to do with it. If unplugged the radio does nothing, I am assuming that the radio is using this as an amp for the system but there must be a way of using the radio without that box, CVO and Street glides don't have a box strapped to the fender. I also have a question about hidden antennas for this same unit, will the hidden units still allow the deck to accept the radio stations call signs to be displayed?

thanks for the help

Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You probably have a HK amp mounted at the rear, under the tour pak (which has been used on every CVO Ultra since '06 model year). That amp comes with a wiring harness that takes the HK radio's front speaker outputs and sends that audio signal to the amp; the amp then amplifies the signal and sets it to the front speakers. When you disconnect the amp, you lose the audio signal that would otherwise go back to the fairing speakers.

You should be able to locate the HK radio speaker outputs where they are connected to the amp harness inside the fairing; disconnect the amp harness; and, reconnect the HK radio front speaker outputs to the fairing speakers. You will now have an audio signal to the fairing speakers as originally designed.

The in-fairing antennas should not have any effect on the radio display.

Carl