Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many have replaced the stock HD Battery with an aftermarket
Replaced with HD Battery
50.34%
Replaced with an Aftermarket Battery
49.66%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Battery Replacement Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had great years out of Yuasa's. Bad luck w/DieEasy's & NeverStarts. Picked up a noname/no markings on a gray body battery from a local battery dealer. The guy that sold it to me for $35 (used), told me it was used at the HD Milwaukee factory to start the production line bikes.

To prove to me it was still good, he put on one of those handheld tester's it was putting out 395 CCA. So far it's in my bike for 2 years. Even if I have to crank it for a bit in the cold weather it has not drained downed or failed me. Time will only tell. I rolled the dice!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Only replaced with HD battery because it was under warranty and didn't cost anything. When the next battery goes out I will probably go after market, it will be about quality not price. My first battery lasted 18 months, that's not good in my book.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's only 2-3 companies that make batteries. They just put different stickers on them. I believe Deka makes the OEM batteries (either Deka or Yuasa). As long as you get the same rated battery (even though they have different stickers, the part number is usually the same across the "brands"). In my first bike, the battery died when I left the bike with parking lights on for several months and crashed one of the cells. I replaced it with a Deka sealed AGM battery, got a Battery Tender, and never had a problem since. Some of the fancier battery tenders have a conditioning cycle which may make the battery last longer...I don't know how well it works but I haven't had to replace another batter since I got it - could be the fancy conditioning cycle, could be because I haven't left the parking lights on for 3 months.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

batterymart.com

Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Batteries Plus

Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Deka @ Batteries plus 2 year warranty and keep on a battery Tender at all times...

Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IBHarley
I put a DEKA same battery less money
$180 vs. $109, free shipping and no sales tax. Should be here tomorrow...

Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 AM
gmurdock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 must of been a bad year for batteries. I had to replace mine a couple of months ago. I have an 09 street glide. Replaced it with an OEM

Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been riding Harley Motorcycles for over 40 years. I have had 6 of them new.
The Lead/Acid batteries that Harley sold across the counter was junk. They would not last more than a year. I would go to to Walmart (Yes, Walmart did exist back in the 70's) or the local NAPA part's store and buy the least expensive battery. Harley charged for the name, but the battery was junk.

When Odyssey came out with the Sealed Battery and a great warranty, I figured I would try it in a Hard Tail Custom I built. It was great. When I sold it three years later, I took the battery out and still have it on the floor of my garage.

When my 1998 Ultra needed a new battery (low lights and slow start) in 2005, I looked at the one in the bike. It was the original. The Harley OEM was a sealed battery. I figured I would check out a OEM battery. I ordered one On-Line because I saved a lot of money. When it came, it was fully charged and brought the Ultra back to life. It was the same battery and going strong when the bike was totaled in 2009.

So, I have found that the Harley Battery has improved to the point that they are up to par with the best on the market. So, look around and buy what you want. I like the Harley Battery because I know that it is made to fit my model Harley, without needing to measure to find if it will fit.
But one thing for sure, I would NEVER buy the Lead/Acid battery to put in any Harley I will ever own. No mater how cheap the price.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 11-08-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Harley Batteries are made by DEKA not Harley, so why would you not buy a DEKA , it's cheaper , double the warranty and more cold cranking amps.

Do what you want !!

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement Poll