Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad dealors vs good dealships

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Default RE: bad dealers vs good dealerships

In Texas a lot, and I domean a lotof dealerships have changed hands in then past three years. Seems most of the old family dealers are gone. Some of the new ones are good and some not so great, but there surely has been a lot of change. It`s hard to know where to go for a lot ofthe older,long time riders. It`s justgonna take some time to sort them all out. But I do know that if ya got a good dealer it surely does make thewhole experience a lot better.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nellybelle

Hoosier,

I also bought my Ultra and a Sportster from Mann's and Rich was my salesman. He took all the time I needed to understand what I wanted and when my wife bought her Sportster he was very patient with her to make sureshe got the right bike not just a bike. The whole Mann family, the service guys and gals in motor clothes treat you like you really matter. They really do appreciate your business.

About a month ago I was in there for a few minutes looking around and talking to Randy & Rich. When I left and went down the street to a restaurant I noticed a couple of guys who were in the store at the same time I was. We were seated next to each other and started to talk to each other. They told me they were from Nashville Tenn. I asked them why they were in Mann's HD. The one guy looked at me and said it was simple he said " Mann's are the best". This guy drives over four hours to have Mann's service department work on his bike. That made me glad I was only 15 miles away from their service department.

Mann's HD was started years ago. It was started by a hard working guy who liked motorcycles and people. He didn't start out with tons of money. He started small and grew and grew. Henever lost sight of the customer and their needs. That is why they have and will continue to be successful. There may not be a lot of GOOD DEALERS out there but I got one and that is all that matters right.
Yes, I have also run into folks from out of state that will only let Mann's service their bikes.

Mann's is a great, family owned and operated dealership. They treat customers like they want to be treated. Rich is prob'ly one of the best people I know. But the entire place operates that way. A 5 star dealership, in my very humble opinion.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad dealers vs. good dealers. Let's compare that to who wins the Super Bowl. From one season to the next, dealership management and personnel change. No team always wins the cup and no dealership always wins everyone's heart. I've been with H-D since 1989. Even H-D themselves have won me over on occasion and pissed me the **** off.

Experiences are relative. It's not a dealership's fault if some ******* stayed up until 3 drinking and then showed up for his shift and treated you like ****. Same goes for you. If you're pissed because your dog's vet bill was $500 don't bring your lame-*** "I have no money" **** to the counter. Discounts, dropped fees and reduced labor aren't in the cards after the fact.

Both sides are real, and both sides are negotiable. Usually. The best advice for a bad dealership experience is to document everything. Times, staff names, prices, excuses... everything.

As I've stated many, many times "Advertising on billboards, in magazines and emails costs us thousands. If one customer leaves pissed off over $20, he just cost us $1000 to prove him wrong.".

No one in a dealership management position will let you leave pissed off. Approach the subject professionally, and I guarantee you'll walk out satisfied. If you're still unhappy, ask for the dealer's H-D District Manager's phone number. If they refuse to give it to you, take it to H-D Retail Customer Service.

If it goes to that extreme and you still can't get satisfaction, you're stuck. One more reason why retail purchases that aren't made in a store will bite you. If no one knows you, no one will back you. Just a fact.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Jsans
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kagan

Bad dealers vs. good dealers. Let's compare that to who wins the Super Bowl. From one season to the next, dealership management and personnel change. No team always wins the cup and no dealership always wins everyone's heart. I've been with H-D since 1989. Even H-D themselves have won me over on occasion and pissed me the **** off.

Experiences are relative. It's not a dealership's fault if some ******* stayed up until 3 drinking and then showed up for his shift and treated you like ****. Same goes for you. If you're pissed because your dog's vet bill was $500 don't bring your lame-*** "I have no money" **** to the counter. Discounts, dropped fees and reduced labor aren't in the cards after the fact.

Both sides are real, and both sides are negotiable. Usually. The best advice for a bad dealership experience is to document everything. Times, staff names, prices, excuses... everything.

As I've stated many, many times "Advertising on billboards, in magazines and emails costs us thousands. If one customer leaves pissed off over $20, he just cost us $1000 to prove him wrong.".

No one in a dealership management position will let you leave pissed off. Approach the subject professionally, and I guarantee you'll walk out satisfied. If you're still unhappy, ask for the dealer's H-D District Manager's phone number. If they refuse to give it to you, take it to H-D Retail Customer Service.

If it goes to that extreme and you still can't get satisfaction, you're stuck. One more reason why retail purchases that aren't made in a store will bite you. If no one knows you, no one will back you. Just a fact.
Wait let me get this straight, you're asking us, the customers, that we should approach the subject professionally while you make excuses for the people at the dealership to act unprofessionally because they stayed up until 3 drinking or their dog's vet bill was $500.00????

You are joking, right?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Kagan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Jsans

Wait let me get this straight, you're asking us, the customers, that we should approach the subject professionally while you make excuses for the people at the dealership to act unprofessionally because they stayed up until 3 drinking or their dog's vet bill was $500.00????

You are joking, right?

No. I'm not. We have good days and bad days. Just like your favorite football team has players who do well some games and not so good the next. People who condemn a dealership in its entirety because of a single ******* employee or a single shitty transaction usually come to realize that unless the upper management are all ********, will weed out the offending employee.

You've never been on the job hungover? You've never bitten someone's head off and regretted it later? I'll call bullshit on that claim right here, right now, and in writing.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:56 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: bad dealors vs good dealships

ORIGINAL: chornbe

What are dealors and dealships?

Again with rude comments Mr. perfect?

Old 12-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain

what i was wondering was how could one of you computer literit people start some sort of good guy / bad guy page. ( if there's not one already).----There already is , called stealer-dealer.com and the link has already been list above --good site and also has " indys" listed too !!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Kagan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Roofuss96

what i was wondering was how could one of you computer literit people start some sort of good guy / bad guy page. ( if there's not one already).----There already is , called stealer-dealer.com and the link has already been list above --good site and also has " indys" listed too !!
The only point that I was trying to make was that I've worked for four H-D related businesses. I started in 1989. For someone to say "I hate 1234 Harley-Davidson because they're lazy no-good snakes" doesn't mean much. Who is? Are they still there? Did management support them? Were you contacted after the fact?

I get it. I've worked for a dealer that I hated to the bone. Guess what? H-D got rid of him. See how it works?

Consumer strength is great. Without it we'd all still be riding EL knuckles. But! At some point there needs to be some relative proportion between what a customer should expect and an employee should provide.

Personally, I'm in between. I've seen the tremendous growth and I have to ask if it's worth it. We had the factory strike, now major slow-downs and push-backs in production releases... It would suit me just fine if I lost half my business and half my staffing requirements to give my remaining customers twice the personal service.

You want Wal-Mart Harley shops? I sure as **** dont. I truly miss the days when I could call all of my customers by their first names.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Jsans
Tourer

We understand that people have bad days......but the problem is when managment doesn't acknowledge that their people screwed up or don't care.

Management is the root of the issue, people can be trained to perform well under adverse conditions, whether they are experiencing personal or professional problems.

"Just give me money....thats...what I want!"

"I've got you because I figured out how to make that thing that you ride your lifestyle and not just a hobby!"

Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

While all that sounds good, it just isn't so.

I had repeated problems with my '06 Ultra and had it into service numerous times, always resulting in the same result..."runs normal" even though it was bogging down at take off and the best gas mileage I ever got was 28 mph. Each time I heard the story of riding style and type of roads even though I took a 1200 mile trip with another Ultra running cruise control almost all the way and at each fuel stop I needed 0.5 gallons more than him to fill my tank.

Not wanting to get into an argument with the service staff, I decided to take my issue to the General Manager hoping he could authorize the service department to really check my bike out. After listening to my concerns, he simply stated, "If you don't like the service you get, then take your bike someplace else".

So much for HD management caring, or MOCO customer service doing anythign about it either.

Quick Reply: bad dealors vs good dealships